Track Order Via External USB Hard Drive

I have my purchased albums backed up to a USB hard drive, so decided to connect it to the Ultra mainly due to curiosity really. Apart from 1 hiccup having to rescan, all albums were scanned successfully with correct cover art, however noticed album tracks were not in the correct order. Tried selecting info by track number but that did not work, just shuffled the tracks differntly but not into the correct order. As all albums was purchased via, Qobuz, HDtracks and 7Digital I would assume the metadata supplied would be correct and the track order should be right?. Am I missing something!.

No I have not checked the metadata. Have an app called Music Tag Editor but only ever used it to download the correct album art for mp3 files. Would not even know what to do to correct the tags and sort the track number into the correct order. Also would I want to spend the time correcting 300 plus albums, Life is to short!. As I said in my OP, would assume the metadata would be correct using on line purchases!, but I suppose that would be too easy.

No I have not checked the metadata. Have an app called Music Tag Editor but only ever used it to download the correct album art for mp3 files. Would not even know what to do to correct the tags and sort the track number into the correct order. Also would I want to spend the time correcting 300 plus albums, Life is to short!. As I said in my OP, would assume the metadata would be correct using on line purchases!, but I suppose that would be too easy.
So what order are the tracks on when you sort by track number. Remember track 10 might come between track 1 and track 2 unless they are tagged 01 and 02.

So what order are the tracks on when you sort by track number. Remember track 10 might come between track 1 and track 2 unless they are tagged 01 and 02.
Bingo.

I hand corrected 1300 FLAC rips. Life is too short to spend it being mad because software is lazy.

Kudos to you for being so persistent (y). At the end of the day 98% of my albums can be played in shuffle mode which is what will happen without selecting " Shuffle " but albums such as" Abbey Road - The Beatles" and " Animals - Pink Floyd " need to be played as intended because of the natural progression of the tracks, so really no problem.

Kudos to you for being so persistent (y). At the end of the day 98% of my albums can be played in shuffle mode which is what will happen without selecting " Shuffle " but albums such as" Abbey Road - The Beatles" and " Animals - Pink Floyd " need to be played as intended because of the natural progression of the tracks, so really no problem.
Typical time needed in Media Monkey to fix track sequence numbers, one minute. Most of my CDs were classical, and some of them involved multiple CDs. The databases for Classical are really hit or miss.

I use an App called Bliss (not free) works on many platforms and would sort out tagging like numeric issues very quickly and automated once configured.

I use an App called Bliss (not free) works on many platforms and would sort out tagging like numeric issues very quickly and automated once configured.
EAC does okay on things like track numbering, but I never subscribed to the paid tagging services. The free one is user maintained, and there’s little consistency. Every genre has 50 possible sub genres, and you have to pay attention before you save.

Typical time needed in Media Monkey to fix track sequence numbers, one minute. Most of my CDs were classical, and some of them involved multiple CDs. The databases for Classical are really hit or miss.
Looked up Media Monkey but it appears not to have an OSX version!.

Tried bliss and initially would not work ( Album tracks still in the wrong order ). With the help of bliss support it turns out the metadata was causing the problem. I used DBpoweramp to convert my Hi-Res albums to mp3 in order to fit onto my macBook M2 250Gb but it turns out I set up the wrong parameters before converting and the track numbers were in the same text line as the track names ie, hello01. So operator error:D.

Moved my Hi-Res albums onto an external drive and tried as many albums within the 99 search limit and on the whole I would say it was 99% successful but not perfect.

Used Music Tag Editor to check and correct album cover art metadata which solved a lot of inconsistencies. With a specific problem where the album art was not correct and was showing the wrong album art for different tracks?. So the journey continues.

What you are talking about is the fact that the WiiM DLNA server (cut down version of MiniDLNA) is indexing on track names in the place you are viewing. This nearly always happens if you use folder views but when you access via Artist / Album is it still wrong? If it is then complain to WiiM. Accessing by Artist / Album should index based upon the track number stored in the metadata. In this case the data is numeric so leading zeros aren't necessary. The leading zero's are needed for alphabetical listing - file names.

Try mp3tag for interrogating metadata. It will also show when there is different cover art across files.

I have scanned 58k tracks from a 4TB Toshiba drive and I haven’t yet come across any albums with tracks in the wrong order. I’ve just checked Abbey Road (24 Bit Remastered) and it is fine.

The only issue I have with track numbers via usb drive is multi disc albums. It puts all the track 1 tracks together track two together etc

I go to folder mode as a workaround

The only issue I have with track numbers via usb drive is multi disc albums. It puts all the track 1 tracks together track two together etc

That is why it makes sense to use the discno in the filename e.g. 1-01-Trackname -

Do you have the option to change 'Sort by' to 'Default' on the track listing screen?

I don't have an Amp/Ultra but using 'Advanced' view to browse Windows Media Sharing the only options are 'Track Number' and 'Title', which is strange as both are incorrect for multi disc albums - unless it was designed knowing that the default order provided by WMS is Track Number.

Have you raised a ticket?

Last edited:
Do you have the option to change 'Sort by' to 'Default' on the track listing screen?

I don't have an Amp/Ultra but using 'Advanced' view to browse Windows Media Sharing the only options are 'Track Number' and 'Title', which is strange as both are incorrect for multi disc albums - unless it was designed knowing that the default order provided by WMS is Track Number.

Have you raised a ticket?

Not on the usb. Just track number and alphabetical. I do have default when accessing a server

Not on the usb. Just track number and alphabetical. I do have default when accessing a server
Raise a ticket then, although I can't believe that hasn't come up before!

EDIT: I assume you have both track number and disc number tags populated?

Back