Troubles with external USB media on ultra

gianluca.tod

hi all, I connect a 1T sata ssd usb drive (flac /wav files).
I try loading about 1k music files, all seems ok.
So I try to put more files in the hd, about 5k files (about 300 gb of music). The system rescan the drive…. Now WiiM ultra see about 700 files.
When I open a folder, browsing in the media section, the album shows only 2 or 3 songs per album….
I try to reformatting the drive with a fully new scan of the drive…. The result is the same… with 5k files WiiM ultra “go crazy” , with less files ok….
It is “normal” behaviour ?!?!?
Please help

hi all, I connect a 1T sata ssd usb drive (flac /wav files).
I try loading about 1k music files, all seems ok.
So I try to put more files in the hd, about 5k files (about 300 gb of music). The system rescan the drive…. Now WiiM ultra see about 700 files.
When I open a folder, browsing in the media section, the album shows only 2 or 3 songs per album….
I try to reformatting the drive with a fully new scan of the drive…. The result is the same… with 5k files WiiM ultra “go crazy” , with less files ok….
It is “normal” behaviour ?!?!?
Please help
I have a 1 TB HD with 9600 songs on it. I put it in my brand new Wiim Amp Pro and scanned it. No problems at all. I did see where you need a 5 percent empty space on your drive for the scan to be successful. If you continue to have problems I suggest a new drive.

It is “normal” behaviour ?
No, this is not normal behaviour. Rest assured, the Ultra can easily deal with much bigger libraries.

Are you on the latest WiiM Ultra firmware and are you running the latest version of the WiiM Home App? There have been a number of improvements to USB storage compatibility and indexing over time.

I connect a 1T sata ssd usb drive (flac /wav files).
Does that SSD drive have its own separate power supply? The WiiM Ultra can provide up to ~1.7 A of current max. Should your SSD need more than that at any point in time e.g. during a scan, there will be some sort of failure.

Do you have any particular reason for not converting the WAV files to FLAC? Meta tag handling for wave files is not well defined, there's no official standard. I would advise you convert them all.to FLAC to rule this out as a potential source of error.

I try to reformatting the drive with a fully new scan of the drive…
What filesystem did you use for reformatting? NTFS should work OK. Personally, I still prefer FAT32 for better compatibility, but you will need 3rd party tools in case your computer runs Windows. I also prefer the old style MBR partitioning scheme over GPT, if you're prepared to replace all contents from the drive anyway.

I did see where you need a 5 percent empty space on your drive for the scan to be successful.
Definitely a good point. The index is created on the drive itself in a folder called wiim_cache. It contains a database and cover art and can become quite big. Leaving some extra space for processing is a very good idea.

Thanks for your suggests @goodmore and @harkpabst
The drive is 1 TB with 300 GB used, so no issues about.
I format FAT32 using Mac osx.
The ssd, as per tech spec need less than 1A.
So, the next test is use another (no ssd) 1T drive and another test will be the same ssd with another sata enclosure.

The ssd, as per tech spec need less than 1A.
I hope the specs list the absolute maximum under all conditions.

I haven't tried any external SSD or HDD so far. But I have successfully used USB thumb drives of 512 GB and 1 TB size with roughly 12,500 songs on it.

PS:
If you use a separate SATA case, it's controller and cable could potentially cause incompatibles, too. Not hard rules here, just a thought.

If the OP sees ANY Audio Files, the Ultra's Scan is getting past the Partition Table and File System.If the OP sees ANY Audio Files, the Ultra's Scan is getting past the Partition Table and File System.
Fair point

Defects of the filesystem could still represent a problem, but are probably not so likely instantly after a reformat ...

The latest version of the WiiM Home App no longer asks to keep it in the foreground. It should be able to tell yo when (or if) the scan has completed.

Back