UPnP interface instability

simbun

Major Contributor
For a long time now I've been very impressed with WiiMs UPnP interface, but I was testing upplay (desktop UPnP controller) a few days ago and noticed some instability which I thought was down to the software, but on further investigation I'm seeing the same behaviour with Hi-Fi Cast which has otherwise been very stable - even though I use BubbleUPnP for the most part.

The main problem I'm seeing is when initiating playback of a queue it starts on track 2, which it repeats before moving onto the rest of the queue. In BubbleUPnP track progress also seems less accurate as though something has changed with UPnP eventing.

The last update I had for Hi-Fi Cast was back in Oct 2023 so I know nothing has changed there.

I've tried a factory reset of my Pro to no avail, so if anyone experiences similar issues please let me know.

@WiiM Support

Is there any way to roll back to a different firmware? I know it was a problem before the very latest (4.8.623428) but a couple of versions before that (before the change to pull artwork from UPnP streams) would be a good starting point.

The only way I know to rollback is to ask WiiM directly, but you might then still be subject to updates.

Best contacting them via a ticket, as well as bug reporting the issue which I’d guess you’ll have done already

I'm hoping they can pin me to a release but we'll see.

Is there a difference betwen a bug report and a ticket i.e. sending feedback from the app generates a ticket.

I'm hoping they can pin me to a release but we'll see.

Is there a difference betwen a bug report and a ticket i.e. sending feedback from the app generates a ticket.
Bug report/feedback/ticket, all the same if you use the app so it sends the logs as well

For a long time now I've been very impressed with WiiMs UPnP interface, but I was testing upplay (desktop UPnP controller) a few days ago and noticed some instability which I thought was down to the software, but on further investigation I'm seeing the same behaviour with Hi-Fi Cast which has otherwise been very stable - even though I use BubbleUPnP for the most part.

The main problem I'm seeing is when initiating playback of a queue it starts on track 2, which it repeats before moving onto the rest of the queue. In BubbleUPnP track progress also seems less accurate as though something has changed with UPnP eventing.

The last update I had for Hi-Fi Cast was back in Oct 2023 so I know nothing has changed there.

I've tried a factory reset of my Pro to no avail, so if anyone experiences similar issues please let me know.

@WiiM Support

Is there any way to roll back to a different firmware? I know it was a problem before the very latest (4.8.623428) but a couple of versions before that (before the change to pull artwork from UPnP streams) would be a good starting point.
Hi simbun,

Our engineer will take a look at this issue shortly. Please stay tuned!

@simbun

When I first started using BubbleUPnP with my WiiM Pro, I experienced similar issues. According to Bubblesoft support, eventing does not work on the WiiM. Make sure the "Use eventing" option is disabled for the WiiM renderer. After turning off this option, BubbleUPnP has been working perfectly for me (although the responsiveness of the progress bar is rather slow).

@simbun

When I first started using BubbleUPnP with my WiiM Pro, I experienced similar issues. According to Bubblesoft support, eventing does not work on the WiiM. Make sure the "Use eventing" option is disabled for the WiiM renderer. After turning off this option, BubbleUPnP has been working perfectly for me (although the responsiveness of the progress bar is rather slow).
That's strange because I've used eventing since the Pro came out and it's been reliable with both BubbleUPnP.and Hi-Fi Cast. When did you speak to Bubbleguuum about this?

I've had dialogue with WiiM about the above issue and it should be resolved in a firmware update.due soon.

Last edited:
That's strange because I've used eventing since the Pro came out and it's been reliable with both BubbleUPnP.and Hi-Fi Cast. When did you speak to Bubbleguuum about this?

I've had dialogue with WiiM about the above issue and it should be resolved in a firmware update.due soon.
It was probably 4 or 5 weeks ago when I contacted Bubble support about this.

Speaking of Hi-Fi Cast, this used to be my preferred controller, but I'm unable to even use it with the WiiM. If I stop playback of an album, and then resume playback some time later, the last song starts up again at the beginning, but at the end of that song the WiiM fails to advance to the next track. Even if I just pause playback and wait 30 minutes (for the renderer to drop the connection), the same thing happens. I'm surprised you haven't had a problem with that. I submitted a ticket over 6 weeks ago, but it's still broken.

It was probably 4 or 5 weeks ago when I contacted Bubble support about this.
Then I think it's all related to the problem I described in my initial post.

WiiM support have said it'll be better for me to await a fix than to rollback, so I'm hoping that means it's due soon, at which point Hi-Fi Cast should be working again.

I use BubbleUPnP so wouldn't have noticed the Hi-Fi Cast problem because I only use it and other control points for testing, something which I'll do now after every firmware release.

@WiiM Support , @WiiM Team

Has there been any progress on this issue? I supplied a set of test tracks 10 days ago, and asked if you'd been able to replicate the issue 6 days ago but haven't received an update.

It's getting to the point where I'm now telling people to delay purchases, which is a shame as it's been very stable for the last 12-18 months.

@WiiM Support , @WiiM Team

Has there been any progress on this issue? I supplied a set of test tracks 10 days ago, and asked if you'd been able to replicate the issue 6 days ago but haven't received an update.

It's getting to the point where I'm now telling people to delay purchases, which is a shame as it's been very stable for the last 12-18 months.
Hi simbun,

Our team is looking at this issue now. We should be able to fix it shortly. Thank you for your assistance!

Hi simbun,

Our team is looking at this issue now. We should be able to fix it shortly. Thank you for your assistance!

Thanks for the update.

I'm looking forward to a fix as the only app I know that currently works reliably with WiiM is BubbleUPnP, and that's with a code change from the developer, Hi-Fi Cast, MediaMonkey, mconnect, upplay and even LMS are all having issues.

Previously the WiiM UPnP interface had been as robust as the Sonos implementation, which is the best I've used, so I'm hoping to get back to that.

Last edited:
Back