Using a BR/DVD player as a CD transport with a WiiM Pro

Clem_Dye

Apologies if this topic has been aired before, so please excuse this post from a forum newbie.

I'm slowly getting to grips with my new WiiM Pro, which is connected via optical to my Samsung sound bar. I would like to repurpose one of my old DVD/BR players as a CD transport, and connect to the Pro. However, like all modern players, they only have a coaxial digital out terminal, whilst the Pro only has optical in. As such, I need a converter or a cheap DAC.

In an ideal world I'd sort this by introducing a stereo amp and speakers, but a lack of space precludes separates as well as an a/v setup.

I've had a good poke around on Google, and there are certainly a lot on converters out there, but reviews suggest variable quality and often poor reliability. I have used CYP products before, but cost is a consideration. The alternative would be to buy, at some point, a dedicated CD player, which again I'd connect to the Pro via optical, so it seems an expensive option just to buy a transport.

There is one DVD player out there, the LG DP542H, which has analogue out, so in theory I could use that to connect to the Pro. It has the advantage of a front panel display, but given its budget price I suspect the analogue out connection will sound pretty dire.

I could use the HDMI in socket on the sound bar and use that for CD playback, but from what I can work out the sampling rates differ, and quality suffers. I have to say that in a brief test recently, I couldn't hear anything obviously amiss, but the purist in me wants to keep video and audio chains separate. Besides, it needs to be dead easy for my wife to use. She has no interest in technology, so the simpler the solution the better.

So, with the above in mind, any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To connect my Sony Blu ray player to a DAC without an optical connection, I bought a bidirectional converter for less than 15 euros. I am happy with the audio quality.

I was also able to connect the converter's power supply to my Sony via USB and didn't need an additional power adapter.
Since this converter model is no longer available, I can't find you a link, but there are a few other models online in this price category.

Try it out, you can't lose much!

Back