What are you listening to?

For once no recommendation, but a rant 🤷🏻‍♂️. YMMV!
A bit surprised that this album is an "Editor's Pick" on Allmusic this week. Most of the time one can rely on them. I declare this record my "Aluminium Citron" of the week.
Despite their success, Imagine Dragons for many have a reputation for being the worst band in the world. Envy? Possible, because their songs reach billions (US billions 😉) of views on the streaming services. A music of the lowest common denominator. And most likely the critics are not converted again with "Loom". Dan Reynolds barks silly-aggressively flat slogans in "Wake Up", but the song has nothing to offer that would justify waking up - a broad-legged electropop production with tiny melody fragments and artificial sounds. Other children's song level, "Take Me To The Beach", for example, as if the Sesame Street sang a summer hit, hardly to undercut in terms of simplicity. It will reach the mainstream, and the fans will celebrate it. Clicks creating, but bad!

View attachment 8490
Screenshot_20240628-200636.png
🤣

...I got it at the age of 9 in the seventies (together with a Körting turntable with integrated amplifier and two 25W loudspeakers, from Neckermann). I've listened to them up and down for years up to today, I know them inside out, I know exactly when to sing along, including the pauses between the tracks. Now I'm also listening to the 2023 editions and they sound damn good. However, it's a damn shame to mix up the familiar track order with new songs - I missed my cue several times 😁. After I've created them as playlists, it works again 😀

1000001060.jpg

1000001063.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3848.jpeg

While waiting for finishing things for senior needs in old/new Düsseldorf home this 1984 115/II does the job well. Once all the adjustments for me are done, the battle horse will move to the West. Again, even in the 80s fantastic and still running gear was made. Simple, robust, repairable. Designed, engineered and built in the free world 😉
(Quite sure it will not find mercy by some "objectivists". Old technology, outdated, bad measurements, lost in time..But it sounds awesome.)

IMG_3693.jpeg

Found them on Bandcamp. The album is on my to-listen-list.
Here is what German Metal Hammer magazine wrote. (No my thoughts, first I have to listen. 😉)

"The side project of Leprous drummer Baard Solstad and keyboardist Nicolai Tangen Svennæs (among others Ihsahn) goes into the third release round with DREAM CHASER and continues to run out in progressive rock, which is strongly characterised by futuristic sounds, as you know them from the seventies and by artists like Alan Parsons. In the highlights, the Norwegian quintet still bangs a decent portion of muse eccentricity over the mix - and convinces. When the melancholic basic mood is smashed by earthly riffs, spherical sounds and high-melodic hooklines, a depressive feel-good atmosphere is created, which also allows eruptive moments.
Not all song ideas ignite immediately as in the aggressive opener 'Don't Look Up', the overflowing 'Utopia' or the tool offshoot 'Presence'. Especially in the quiet moments, Rendezvous Point likes to get lost in time and space. Overall, however, a listening experience that can be fully recommended to genre fans (especially if they love spacious keyboard sounds)."

Back