What are you listening to?

Floating into the morning with another Grand Dame!
Away from "better DAC with improved circuits and low noise as confirmed by members of the Cult" 😉😂

Screenshot_20231031_043614_USB Audio Player PRO.jpeg

Yesterday the postman brought my new copy of BBC MM. Old fashioned, like me.
As usual lots of splendid information. Christmas is near, so the companies increase the number of new releases.
For the voice lovers kinda Puccini Tenor Pralinés. Delectable!

Screenshot_20231031_165249_mconnect.jpeg

So a question, going through my 1000+ discs, I want to transfer to NAS. What do you use to record to media? I could go .wav or .flac. thanks all.
The best CD Ripper for Windows is probably dbPoweramp Reference Edition. This costs £30 or so but well worth it for its tagging ability.

Tips
Go FLAC at level 5 and before you start properly investigate Replay Gain. Unless you are absolutely sure you will never need it add it to dbPoweramp’s settings.
Configure it to write files in disc-track-title .FLAC format with disc and track in 2 digit format eg 01,02 etc
Also ensure you configure it to add folder.jpg to each album folder
You can configure it to rip directly to your NAS folder.

The best CD Ripper for Windows is probably dbPoweramp Reference Edition. This costs £30 or so but well worth it for its tagging ability.

Tips
Go FLAC at level 5 and before you start properly investigate Replay Gain. Unless you are absolutely sure you will never need it add it to dbPoweramp’s settings.
Configure it to write files in disc-track-title .FLAC format with disc and track in 2 digit format eg 01,02 etc
Also ensure you configure it to add folder.jpg to each album folder
You can configure it to rip directly to your NAS folder.
And in terms of folder structure, use album-artist/album. I’d also add Artist to the file name, so disc-track-title-artist.FLAC to cater for compilations.

And in terms of folder structure, use album-artist/album. I’d also add Artist to the file name, so disc-track-title-artist.FLAC to cater for compilations.
I’m not sure Artist is strictly necessary if you set the compilation tag but TBH my knowledge of how upnp servers might deal with such a situation is limited (obviously) as LMS definitely doesn’t need Artist in the file name for compilations. In fact it doesn’t even need the compilation tag.

I’m not sure Artist is strictly necessary if you set the compilation tag but TBH my knowledge of how upnp servers might deal with such a situation is limited (obviously) as LMS definitely doesn’t need Artist in the file name for compilations. In fact it doesn’t even need the compilation tag.
I use it simply from the point of view of the file name in Windows explorer showing the track artist when the album-artist is “various artists”, not necessarily from the POV of whichever server software I’m using.

I use it simply from the point of view of the file name in Windows explorer showing the track artist when the album-artist is “various artists”, not necessarily from the POV of whichever server software I’m using.
Ok I can see that. Could result in a very long file name though.

@Yanto
They all have gaps. Used Tidal mainly to avoid eventually something missing in Roon. But they will not get another chance for me. I found the album on Apple, thats ok. If one can read about missing transparency and long time hoaxing the clients especially with MQA it is Tidal. Take this "MAX" label. You do not know what you get really before you look in. Sure it is good to have so much choices for a few Euro or whatever currency.

I have Apple and Qobuz. I have tried Amazon, Deezer and Tidal before. I didn’t particularly like MQA but maybe now Tidal does FLAC it might be better.
Spotify has easily the best library and user interface, but the sound quality, on a home system just doesn’t compete unfortunately
There are so many personal feelings about user interfaces as users are 😉 For me the Spotify app is pure eye pain. As is the Amazon app. But it is up to everyone. I have them all for other reasons. But if I have to decide I will always vote for Qobuz, even if I would not use Roon. Kinda old fashioned, but does what I want an UI to do.
But all these mothers have pretty daughters. So for example listening to Mr. Dylan via Apple with this tiny Airpods. Do not know how Apple does this, but they succeed with this wireless nonsense 😂 and I have to confess: It sounds good 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_1859.jpeg

Listening on the walk is out for me for long and "No sports!" since a few years.
So it is always in house. I have to use this wireless gimmicks from time to time. And although it is for the die-hard cable supporter I am not easy I have to confess: It is not the expected pain 😉

Last edited:
I said goodbye to Amazon music today.

After a long period of joy and hardship, I have finally reached the limit of my patience.

So, I think this will be the last post from AM.

This song is one of the most famous farewell songs in my country. Vocalist "Kazumasa Oda" was born in 1947. He is a 76-year-old man, but his very clear voice does not fade with age.

Yes,
It's very similar to that song by Eagles. 😅

Goodbye / Off Course
Screenshot_2023-11-02-15-45-58-650_com.amazon.mp3-edit.jpg

He is still active as a solo artist and released a new single this year.

Screenshot_2023-11-02-16-12-32-275_com.spotify.music-edit.jpg

Miles Davis' answer to many music related question was "Listen!"
Back to the 80s I remembered this one. (And all Chi-Fi lovers: Don't panic, they sing about another crisis! 😉)

IMG_1860.jpeg

Back