What was your first hi fi equipment?

Burnside

Major Contributor
Leaving aside any radio, Walkman or similar, this was probably my first record player, amp and speakers setup, bought if I recall just before I started university back in 1971 - the Pye Black Box.

Listening to the Sutherland Brothers & Quiver’s “Real Love” overly loud on headphones probably explains why I now have hearing aids ;)

IMG_9038.jpeg

Scary...mine was quite similar, a DUAL 1011. Bought from the money I got from the relatives for my Konfirmation. My parents had different ideas...
Still waiting for the permit from my wife to get one to restore, they are available for small money on the platforms. But they are really big...🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_4695.jpeg

I think I either bought mine from money I had saved up working in a baker’s on a Saturday morning and during school holidays, or from my first University grant.

And the first albums I bought were probably Gilbert O’Sullivan’s Himself (my excuse was my sister liked him a lot ;) ), and Bridge Over Troubled Waters which cost me £2 1s 6d - lots of money for a poor student…

Fortunately, I was given a small horde of late 50s/early 60s 45rpm singles (and some older 78rpm shellac discs) by an older cousin so those kept me going for a while until I could afford more of my own.

My first album was a senseless one named "Classics with a Beat". Classical themes arranged for a "beat band". The only reason was to demonstrate the stunning audience STEREO 😉

Thanks for the interesting thread.😀

I bought my first hi-fi when I was in high school.

All the money I saved from my part-time job disappeared to pay for the amplifier, so I could not buy speakers.😂

I borrowed money from my father for the first time...

1000001149.jpg
1000001147.jpg

I also had a cassette deck and a TT, but I don't remember the model name.

I do remember that this was my first album.
1000001151.jpg

I only listened to Everytime You Go Away over and over again so I don't remember the other tracks.😅

Leaving aside any radio, Walkman or similar, this was probably my first record player, amp and speakers setup, bought if I recall just before I started university back in 1971 - the Pye Black Box.

Listening to the Sutherland Brothers & Quiver’s “Real Love” overly loud on headphones probably explains why I now have hearing aids ;)

View attachment 12584
I had something very similar. An Ultra record player made by Thorn. I have never been able to find a picture on the web.

Just looking for a pic but still can't find one. It was a Birthday present and I went with my Dad to Croydon to get it. It didn't have a headphone socket and my Dad deperately wanted it to have one (can't think why). So the salesman upsold a speaker / headphone switch and a pair of headphones. I remember the Ultra had 2 pin DIN sockets for the speakers and the salesman cut the speaker wires there and then and connected the switch for us.

The one on the right

Last edited:
I would hesitate before calling it hifi but I had one of these to travel to/from univerity halls of residence with back in 1973

SANYO G2311

1728048498727.png

For those familar with Monty Python this thread has echoes of the four yorkshireman sketch and living in a shoebox ... :)

After the Ultra my first proper HiFi was a Trio KA3700 Amplifier, a pair of Kef Concord III's and a Trio KD1033B Turntable.
The turntable is still in regular use.

454957562_8525621850801617_9023969325621972411_n.jpg

I would hesitate before calling it hifi but I had one of these to travel to/from univerity halls of residence with back in 1973

SANYO G2311

View attachment 12595

For those familar with Monty Python this thread has echoes of the four yorkshireman sketch and living in a shoebox ... :)

This is still my favorite sketch with HiFi. At least before the Cheapaudioman appeared 😇

To go with the GEC Soundeck I had one of these
I had this

Back