What was your first hi fi equipment?

Back in 1980 - Technics SU-C03 mini amp and SL-7 linear tracking deck. I have a clear memory of trawling up and down Tottenham Court road in search of the amp and carrying home in a backpack. No speakers at first but a decent pair of Beyer cans (can't remember what model). A monster pair of JBLs quickly followed (again not sure of the model). Unfortunately I can't remember what happened to them but I had them both for a considerable amount of time.

1000015494.jpg

1000015497.jpg

Last edited:
Already quite "sophisticated" 👍 and if I remember right, the 314 had VU meters. The wet dreams of so many WiiMers 😉
Yes, the 314 did have VU meters, and was the only product that I have ever owned that had them, and I have no desire to ever own another item with VU meters. :unsure: :rolleyes::)

Garrard turntable with Shure cartridge, Dynaco SCA-80 integrated amp built from a kit, LWE 3 speakers. Eventually added a Yamaha TC 800 cassette deck. The turntable was the only conventional component.

The Dynaco was their first solid state amp kit. LWE speakers used a motion sensor on the speaker cones and sent feedback back to the amp to improve the sound. So there were wires going from the speakers back to the inside of the amp. The Yamaha was a famous design with a sloped form.

Back