Why can I play Tidal flacc at 192 on a Schiit Modi 3 but for a Chord Mojo, need to drop the resolution to 96/24?

Joffieb

Hi all,

When I play Tidal files with the max set at 192/24 and MQA Beta turned on, through the WiiM Mini to a Schiit Modi DAC, it plays. But through a Chord Mojo I have to reduce the max resolution to 96/24. If I choose a 192/24 file on Tidal through the Mojo, it doesn’t play. That is both with MQA turned on. Obviously this is all through Toslink/Optical (as that is all the Mini has).

If I switch off the MQA beta setting, the maximum resolution it plays is 44/16?

Help please? Why can’t I play 192/24 files through the Mini into the Mojo?

Hi can the mojo deliver 192? I have two dacs yba and dcs one will one won't.

Technical spec tab in Chord Mojo's product page tells
  • 1x Micro USB 768kHz/32-bit Capable Input
  • 1x 3.5mm Jack Coaxial 768kHz/32-bit Capable Input
  • 1x Optical TOSLINK 96kHz/24-bit Capable Input
So it would support 192/24 only through USB or Coaxial but not Toslink

Last edited:
Optical connections can be finicky at 192K/24 and don't always work at that speed. i suspect that the Toslink connector in the Chord isn't quite as good as the one in the Modi 3 or perhaps is worn or damaged. You might want to try some different optical cables to see if a different cable makes a better connection.

Toslink/Optical (as that is all the Mini has).

If I switch off the MQA beta setting, the maximum resolution it plays is 44/16?

Help please? Why can’t I play 192/24 files through the Mini into the Mojo?
Starting 24 July, Tidal will replace all MQA files with flac, so its setting will be irrelevant.
Anyway, if you switch off MQA beta in WiiM app settings, at the moment you still get files from 44.1KHz to 192khz, simply the still present MQA (mainly 44.1KHz 16bit) will arrive to dac as they are and the hi-res ones do the same, up to 192khz.
If your dac doesn't play files above 96KHz, you have to set the max resolution output in WiiM app audio settings.

Turns out it was my Toslink. Got a QED and it’s doing 192/24!!!
It's still outside the Mojo's specs. It might stops working at any future point in time and you're back on square one.

It's still outside the Mojo's specs. It might stops working at any future point in time and you're back on square one.
Chord DACs typically work fine at 192/24. They just had so much trouble with optical cables not working at that speed that they stopped recommending 192/24. But, yes, it is out of the stated specs.

Turns out it was my Toslink. Got a QED and it’s doing 192/24!!!

Was about to say, that's your answer.

The Mojo1 I used with a Pro needed a decent optical cable. I understand that Chord used to rate optical at 24/192 but subsequently decided to be conservative.

Back