Why Roon?

Which means it's a rental service, if they go under you have a useless $800 cost, or the months you've paid for it and no longer able to use it in the future.

Unless if they go bust and release a "offline version" which I doubt. Nor is it open source, so unlike LMS, support will end

Ideally Wiim app/firmware should be open source also
"They" now means Harman. Sure anything can happen but I don't see Roon under Harman going anywhere soon. Maybe you're in a different situation but the only time I'm without an Internet connection at home is when all power is out which is a bad time for hifi listening generally. In those circumstances, or on the road with no connection I can rely on the 1TB of flac on my LG V60.

"They" now means Harman. Sure anything can happen but I don't see Roon under Harman going anywhere soon. Maybe you're in a different situation but the only time I'm without an Internet connection at home is when all power is out which is a bad time for hifi listening generally. In those circumstances, or on the road with no connection I can rely on the 1TB of flac on my LG V60.

If LMS wasn't open source, my SB/LMS will have been junk a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

It's only thanks to open source, that LMS has been ported to other systems, chipsets, and firmware for Squeezebox touches/radios still are being released!

It isn't unknown for internet providers to have outages. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

It isn't unknown for internet providers to have outages. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Or if you're on a secure site, like I am often when I stay at top secret bases housing alien technology we're not allowed wifi and internet access.

Yes well I have my LG phone (and mirrored on Thinkpad in the listening room) should that ever happen. Cold dead hands and all that.

Last edited:
Integration of files playback and streaming services, DSP functions (upscaling, PEQ), gapless playback, superior search function for classical material.
Aren't these all features which you can achieve by using UPnP (e.g. MinimServer/BubbleUPnP/Wiim)? I know MS and Bubble are not free in the versions with features, but they are virtually free in comparison to Roon.

Aren't these all features which you can achieve by using UPnP (e.g. MinimServer/BubbleUPnP/Wiim)? I know MS and Bubble are not free in the versions with features, but they are virtually free in comparison to Roon.
Inelegant (Bubble), inconsistent in gapless playback (Bubble), and limited in DSP functions (Bubble and WiiM).

And an app that hasn't had bugs for the six months, and people aren't throwing their sonos's in the bin out of frustration to buy other products. Nope!
I’m doing fine with SonoPad and Sonophone.

I’m doing fine with SonoPad and Sonophone.
So am I on WiiM software with an ultra plugged into my 5s 😊
I could use the Sonos App as I never updated to the new app but after the latest screw up from them I am moving away from Sonos 👍
But sonophone is no2 in the app charts so someone’s made a killing 😜

I'm doing fine with Roon. Since months no internet connection needed. Before posting nonsense about such a point one should simply do some research, there was a significant change. Room correction with Muse and miniDsp is a dream. No better music discovery on the market, Qobuz and Tidal (and KKK) are part of it and widens the suggestions more than enough. The Nucleus One is cheap and a no-nonsense device.
12 € per month is also cheap for a near perfect solution for me. The discussion about pros and cons pop up every few weeks. Becomes boring, not?
Nucleus One is a huge oversized box which is not cheap at 450 euro - ethernet only. No Spotify or Deezer, no BBC Sounds or podcasts. Overpriced & overhyped IMHO. Still, you pays your money and takes your choice 😁

Last edited:
So am I on WiiM software with an ultra plugged into my 5s 😊
I could use the Sonos App as I never updated to the new app but after the latest screw up from them I am moving away from Sonos 👍
But sonophone is no2 in the app charts so someone’s made a killing 😜
I would have to give up half my services to switch. When you badmouth Sonos for the appfiasco, you have to admit it was incredibly extensive. Nothing come within a mile. Even crippled it has more features than any competitor.

I would have to give up half my services to switch. When you badmouth Sonos for the appfiasco, you have to admit it was incredibly extensive. Nothing come within a mile. Even crippled it has more features than any competitor.

The personal library limitation makes it useless product. Wouldn't want one if they were free.

Which services do you use? I am assuming that "hundred times more services" was a exaggeration.

Internet connection required also. Not an off line function.
My Roon works to play locally stored library files with no internet connection, and the other day it did so to my WiiM Ultra with just wifi and internet down, although I’ve not tested trying to start Roon up without internet…it may need it to get going?

Do you have enough fantasy to imagine that there are people which are absolutely not interested in podcasts, radio, Spotify or Deezer f.e. But only in sorrow free HiFi?
Does Roon really not have Radio? I wouldn't miss streaming services but I would miss Radio.

TBH it was the clarity update 14.10 ish that’s turned me off Sonos I stopped auto updating after that as for services I use Qobuz, Amazon and tune in mainly so the extensive list doesn’t mean anything to me
Last post on this subject from me as it’s rude to hijack this Roon discussion 😊

TBH it was the clarity update 14.10 ish that’s turned me off Sonos I stopped auto updating after that as for services I use Qobuz, Amazon and tune in mainly so the extensive list doesn’t mean anything to me
Last post on this subject from me as it’s rude to hijack this Roon discussion 😊
Services are only useful if you actually use them - for example, only Sonos has Audible, iBroadcast & BBC Sounds.

Services are only useful if you actually use them - for example, only Sonos has Audible, iBroadcast & BBC Sounds.
Actually I use Alexa to start audible on Sonos, WiiM voice remote and Sonos moves oh and on echo dots 😊

I don't use any subscription services at all can't see the point of paying to rent music.
Well, not all services are subscription (or only have a minimal charge, eg. Pocket Casts) or are music based. Audible isn't music, nor are most podcasts. Music services avoid the need for local NAS storage & other devices such as a turntable or cd-player. A service such as Tidal also has music videos.

Back