Why WiiM AMP Pro?

Wiim Ultra with a couple Fosi V3 monoblocks will get you there for $610. A fair bit more than the $240 I paid for my non-pro Amp, but it has PFFB, nearly twice the power, a display, phono input, etc. Still a bargain and hardly more expensive than I'd expect a similarly specced Wiim all in one.
Yeah that’s a pretty popular pairing at the moment. My point was that I would have gladly spent upwards towards $500 for an all in one with at least 100 watts at 8 ohms. I was hoping this would have been a Marantz m1 killer considering the WiiM has far better software.

I'd wait a few more months till the next model which from comments reported at the Munich Show could be a marriage of the Amp Pro and the Ultra, and I'd speculate might also have increased power of the second custom installation market amp that was mooted last year. It'd be a natural progression if nothing else.

If you are not using the optical in, why not get a Apple TV 3rd gen for £25 and use this headless for your airplay needs.

Excellent suggestion. You can actually pick them up on Ebay for as little as £15. Toslink into the Wiim Amp Pro. Job done! (y)

My only gripe with the Amp Pro is that I wish it had 100 watts at 8 ohms.
100 W instead of 60 W would allow 2.2 dB higher sound pressure level from the same speaker at the same distance.

It's a slight edge, yes, but most casual listeners will just about be able to tell the difference. Over the middle part of the frequency range you need 10 times the power to get twice the perceived loudness. Are you sure that this was a major improvement, worth the extra expense you mentioned?

The Amp Pro is a very balanced performer. For its target audience it is a very good product. I have other much higher tier amps, but the Amp Pro as a compact streamer/amp is no slouch.

I will start my direct comparison of the WiiM Amp and the WiiM Amp Pro shortly. I was quite surprised by the amount of tiny mechanical differences. Mostly to the better, except for the non-stepped volume rotary knob.

Stay tuned. As of now I'm just using the Amp Pro as my main amp in the living room, driving a pair of Radiant Acoustics Clarity 6.2. Not bad at all. Let's see how the Amp will handle the same challenge.

Wiim Ultra with a couple Fosi V3 monoblocks will get you there for $610. A fair bit more than the $240 I paid for my non-pro Amp, but it has PFFB, nearly twice the power, a display, phono input, etc. Still a bargain and hardly more expensive than I'd expect a similarly specced Wiim all in one.
Indeed this combination is popular these days, however, its 3 boxes instead of one, more cables, greater electric consumption (in some countries this is an issue) and not to mention that those Fosi have some heat issues that for me are not worth the extra (a lot more yes) but surely unneeded power. In this scenario, less is definitely more. ;)

Indeed this combination is popular these days, however, its 3 boxes instead of one, more cables, greater electric consumption (in some countries this is an issue) and not to mention that those Fosi have some heat issues that for me are not worth the extra (a lot more yes) but surely unneeded power. In this scenario, less is definitely more. ;)
Could perhaps change the fosi for the new topping b100s and get a nice setup, though not sure if that would perform any better. Not as much power either.

Indeed this combination is popular these days, however, its 3 boxes instead of one ...
And it's actually even 4 or 5 boxes if you count the additional power bricks (either one 10 A or two 5 A PSUs). :)

Could perhaps change the fosi for the new topping b100s and get a nice setup, though not sure if that would perform any better. Not as much power either.
That would add another price premium, too. A single B100 is as much as a pair of V3 Mono, so it's 600 bucks for the power amp section, only.

100 W instead of 60 W would allow 2.2 dB higher sound pressure level from the same speaker at the same distance.

It's a slight edge, yes, but most casual listeners will just about be able to tell the difference. Over the middle part of the frequency range you need 10 times the power to get twice the perceived loudness. Are you sure that this was a major improvement, worth the extra expense you mentioned?
Well let me ask you. You claim to use the Ultra and Fosi mono blocks. Apparently you need the 120 watts? That combination you have is $608 on Amazon here in the states. Is that cost worth the improvement for you, especially to have all those separates? I would like to see a WiiN amp (all in one device) with similar specs for $500.

In general, there is no point in buying a WiiM AMP Pro, you will lose AirPlay and pay an extra $80
If airplay is must to have amp pro and ultra doesn’t have it. Mini, pro, pro plus and amp has airplay. In my case, airplay has zero value since I never use it.

Well let me ask you. You claim to use the Ultra and Fosi mono blocks. Apparently you need the 120 watts? That combination you have is $608 on Amazon here in the states. Is that cost worth the improvement for you, especially to have all those separates? I would like to see a WiiN amp (all in one device) with similar specs for $500.
I claim nothing, I just provided simple scientific facts, totally independent of any make, model or price range. :) Surely you are not asking me to justify what I need the WiiM Ultra, V3 Monos or the WiiM Amps for?

If you feel like you want a WiiM Amp with 100 W into 8 ohms at a lesser price than the WiiM Ultra plus V3 Monos, that's fine. I won't question your desire. I'm just asking if you know how little you would gain from that over the readily available WiiM Amp Pro.

If you’re the type of person where music is the center of the universe and want the finest get yourdrlf parasound jc1 mono block. It will be end game and can drive any speaker in the known universe at insane level.

Yeah that’s a pretty popular pairing at the moment. My point was that I would have gladly spent upwards towards $500 for an all in one with at least 100 watts at 8 ohms. I was hoping this would have been a Marantz m1 killer considering the WiiM has far better software.
Clearly Wiim needs to make a $500 AIO for those who want 100W/8ohm.
And an $800 AIO for those who want absolutely state of the art 50W/8ohm.
you’re the type of person where music is the center of the universe and want the finest get yourdrlf parasound jc1 mono block.
And an $18,000 AIO for those who want 450W/8ohm of raw class AB power!

...or they can offer an amp that works for 90% of dens, bedrooms, and small living rooms, and otherwise offer a full-featured streaming preamp that works for everything else.

Back