WiiM Amp + additional amp

ianpoots

Can I add a secondhand amp to my WiiM Amp for future power? Regrettably, I think I purchased the WiiM Amp in haste and should have bought the WiiM Pro or Pro Plus.. I feel I'm going to want more power down the road. Can someone please confirm or deny this? Any other options? Thanks in advance.

Can I add a secondhand amp to my WiiM Amp for future power? Regrettably, I think I purchased the WiiM Amp in haste and should have bought the WiiM Pro or Pro Plus.. I feel I'm going to want more power down the road. Can someone please confirm or deny this? Any other options? Thanks in advance.
I think your only option would be to wait for the wiim amp to have usb out then get an external dac and amp (or amp with a dac).
You'd then be using the wiim amp simply as a streamer though.

Well, the other option would be to sell the wiim amp and get a pro or plus (or ultra!) instead.

I think your only option would be to wait for the wiim amp to have usb out then get an external dac and amp (or amp with a dac).
You'd then be using the wiim amp simply as a streamer though.

Well, the other option would be to sell the wiim amp and get a pro or plus (or ultra!) instead.
Thanks for the quick reply. Doesn't it already have a USB out?

Thanks for the quick reply. Doesn't it already have a USB out?
Upcoming Features
  • Separate 10-Band PEQ for the Left and Right Channel (6/15)
  • USB Audio Output (6/15)

Upcoming Features
  • Separate 10-Band PEQ for the Left and Right Channel (6/15)
  • USB Audio Output (6/15)
Okay, so with a firmware update we would be able to use the existing USB as an out to another power source (amp)? Sorry, I'm fairly new at this game.

Okay, so with a firmware update we would be able to use the existing USB as an out to another power source (amp)? Sorry, I'm fairly new at this game.
It allows the digital signal to be sent to another DAC, and from there to an amp. Or straight to an amp with an internal dac.

It allows the digital signal to be sent to another DAC, and from there to an amp. Or straight to an amp with an internal dac.
Copy that! Thanks for the info, Mr Ee. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for June 15th!

No worries.
It's a bit of a waste of a wiim amp to use it as just a streamer, but hey-ho...

Sell it and get an Ultra... you know you want to ;)

No worries.
It's a bit of a waste of a wiim amp to use it as just a streamer, but hey-ho...

Sell it and get an Ultra... you know you want to ;)
Yea, I'm really kicking my butt for this one... I haven't set it up yet. I have a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2s. We'll see how it sounds. The room it will be going into isn't that big and I don't intend to go over 80db.

Same for Android. Not really necessary, but WiiM probably hope it's easier to understand.

Not sure if it really is, though. If the manufacturer of your sub tells you that the amp/DSP introduces e.g. a 9 ms delay, users still need to understand that they must add 9 ms latency to their main speakers, not to the subwoofer, to compensate for that.

There might be other cases where things are more intuitive. If you have your sub close to or even underneath your sofa, it is pretty obvious that you need to add latency to the sub.

Same for Android. Not really necessary, but WiiM probably hope it's easier to understand.

Not sure if it really is, though. If the manufacturer of your sub tells you that the amp/DSP introduces e.g. a 9 ms delay, users still need to understand that they must add 9 ms latency to their main speakers, not to the subwoofer, to compensate for that.

There might be other cases where things are more intuitive. If you have your sub close to or even underneath your sofa, it is pretty obvious that you need to add latency to the sub.
Using that new setting I found out that if I increased the latency of my main speakers to 50ms it eliminated the lip sync error with my TV. Not sure how the amp needs to be delayed but that is how it seems. Of course I can't also delay the subwoofer so I can't use this function for this purpose.

Using that new setting I found out that if I increased the latency of my main speakers to 50ms it eliminated the lip sync error with my TV. Not sure how the amp needs to be delayed but that is how it seems. Of course I can't also delay the subwoofer so I can't use this function for this purpose.
Good catch.

ARC/eARC should be able to deal with lip sync issues and it should be able to do so automatically, but according to this source it is optional with ARC (and mandatory with eARC):

As far as I know the WiiM Amp supports ARC but not eARC.

Good catch.

ARC/eARC should be able to deal with lip sync issues and it should be able to do so automatically, but according to this source it is optional with ARC (and mandatory with eARC):

As far as I know the WiiM Amp supports ARC but not eARC.
My TV is too old to have ARC so I use the optical input. My Virgin box does have an audio delay setting but it affects the TV sound over HDMI as well as the optical output so I can only have one of them in "perfect" sync. If the amp allowed delay on both main speakers and subwoofer I could sync both.

If the amp allowed delay on both main speakers and subwoofer I could sync both.
Well, thinking about it ... it actually still does. You can add delay (or latency as it is called in WiiM Home) to both, the sub and the main speakers. In most setups the mains will need delay added relatively to the sub. So you can still get the sub in sync with your mains.

You can no longer enter negative numbers since the latest app update, but maybe this is really more of a good thing than I thought initially.
Of course, you cannot really add negative delay to either sub or mains. No way to "speed up" processing on one path over the other. Negative delay on the sub would just lead to positive delay added to the mains and vice versa.

You should be fine then, I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20240531_011508.jpg
    IMG_20240531_011508.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240531_011534.jpg
    IMG_20240531_011534.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Sorry, looks like I was wrong.

While I could take individual screenshots it looks like setting a value for one path clears the value for the other one. :(

Sorry, looks like I was wrong.

While I could take individual screenshots it looks like setting a value for one path clears the value for the other one. :(
Yup that's what I found. I cancelled the echo by changing the main speaker latency and as soon as I touched the subwoofer latency the echo returned. What was the point of thos change? If anything it is more confusing. If there is only one slider which can be adjusted positive or negative it is obvious that delay can't be added to both main speakers and subwoofer. By having separate sliders it raises the possibility of delaying both which would be useful but clearly hasn't been considered. Maybe it could be a feature request.

Yup that's what I found. I cancelled the echo by changing the main speaker latency and as soon as I touched the subwoofer latency the echo returned. What was the point of thos change? If anything it is more confusing. If there is only one slider which can be adjusted positive or negative it is obvious that delay can't be added to both main speakers and subwoofer. By having separate sliders it raises the possibility of delaying both which would be useful but clearly hasn't been considered. Maybe it could be a feature request.
To my ear zero sound best adding delay produce echo like from dsp on AVR.

Back