Wiim Amp driving Dynaudio Focus 360

Jadetowers

tried using the wiim to drive the 4 ohm Dynaudio Focus 360. sounded quite decent but without the usual bass heft from a higher power expensive amp. but it didn’t embarrassed itself for the $299 price.

tried using the wiim to drive the 4 ohm Dynaudio Focus 360. sounded quite decent but without the usual bass heft from a higher power expensive amp. but it didn’t embarrassed itself for the $299 price.
If you want improve performance get ultra when it released and pair them with high powered amp. I have 450 watt mono block that powering Polk legend power hungry as it has 4 ohms and low sensitivity.

yes. i was just playing around with the Wiim to test the streaming capabilities. with the recent issue of the updated Sonos app fiasco not able to recognize locally-stored music on my NAS , i am trying to migrate away from Sonos to streaming platforms. Really fed up with Sonos as i have a full set up of Arc + 2xSubs + Ones for my HT setup. also considering the Eversolo DMP-6 Master Edition with Linear Piwer Supply and into a pair of the new Eigentakt Class D power amp.

My experience with Dynaudio is that they need a pretty hefty amp to get the most out of them. It takes a lot to drive 4 ohm speaker with, my guess, some phase angle issues in the bass. I would be cautious of any entry level class D amps with Dynaudio, although I will add I have not heard the Dynaudio Focus 360 in a while.

previously i was using the Audio Research LS26 A+ McIntosh MC501 monos to drive the Focus 360. it’s a good match for the 4 ohms. i wanted to try out the new class D amps with built in stream and hence the Wiim. i know it’s not an optimal match but the Wiim did not embarass itself by shutting down. just some leanness in the bass. could be a 250 to 500 W Class D will do a good job. been watching Youtube videos about new Class D amps from Stark Audio , Orchard Audio , Buckeye etc and also Purify’s new Eigentark

I was at an event at my local audio store last night. Hifi Rose was demonstrating a streamer with a screen that displayed all sorts of meta data for what was playing - a bigger version of what the Ultra will have. One of the options for the screen was 2 McIntosh VU meters - for us old guys. Those meters are iconic in the industry.

yup those McIntosh VU meters are mesmerizing!

Attachments

• IMG_6999.jpeg
    IMG_6999.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6998.jpeg
    IMG_6998.jpeg
    782.4 KB · Views: 15
I have a pair of Focus 110's With a Fosi audio v3 amp which is pretty close to Wiim Amp and it doesn't really feel I am close to pushing them that hard Even though it delivers a decent amount of power. Still sounds good, but feels like I need a lot more to really get everything out of them. I have owned the 110's and the DM2/6 in my life and both scale really well with the amp's. You can feed them with as much as you like and they will eat it up!

I have a pair of Focus 110's With a Fosi audio v3 amp which is pretty close to Wiim Amp and it doesn't really feel I am close to pushing them that hard Even though it delivers a decent amount of power. Still sounds good, but feels like I need a lot more to really get everything out of them. I have owned the 110's and the DM2/6 in my life and both scale really well with the amp's. You can feed them with as much as you like and they will eat it up!
Just make sure you don't mix up power and gain. Some people "feel" a lack of power if they have to adjust the volume above 50% (or less). ;) Both can lead to a lack of loudness, real or perceived. At least in the case of the WiiM Amp I suspect that it's close to impossible to ever overdrive its power stage.

Back