WiiM amp excessive heating

Etienne74

I ask other users if they also detect excessive heating even when the device is "off". When it is necessary to raise the volume (especially from HDMI ARC, which tends to have a lower level than the line) the dissipated heat becomes really high.
Thanks

No, not at all.

When did you buy your WiiM Amp? What is your current firmware version?

No, not at all.

When did you buy your WiiM Amp? What is your current firmware version?
bought in march. latest version available. 2.10.9. these days about 95F of ambient temperature, which obviously does not improve the situation :(. Tried to lift it from the shelf, but turned on it is really too hot. If yours is at room temperature there must be a malfunction

bought in march. latest version available. 2.10.9. these days about 95F of ambient temperature, which obviously does not improve the situation :(. Tried to lift it from the shelf, but turned on it is really too hot. If yours is at room temperature there must be a malfunction
2.10.9 is not a WiiM Amp firmware version. It's probably the version of the WiiM Home App on your phone and it's not the latest one. Look for updates in your app store.

WiiM Amp firmware versions follow this pattern: 5.0.xxxxxx
As of today, the latest officially released firmware version is v5.0.625359. Not everybody gets the same firmware version at the same time. After release it is first rolled out to a limited number of devices to make sure there are no unforeseen problems and than in bigger waves. What is the current version on your Amp might or might just not be the latests version that has been released. It's important to know the exact firmware version in case there are known bugs, "the latest" doesn't really help.

There have been issues with the Amp running hotter than it should in the very beginning, but all this should long be fixed. If your Amp is too hot to touch at an ambient temperature of 35° C, then there is a malfunction, for sure. Mine gets warm after playing at elevated levels for 30 minutes or so, but it never gets hot. How many and which speakers did you connect? Did you check your cables and connectors? Any EQ or PEQ settings applied?

In any case you should definitely send feedback to WiiM through the WiiM Home App (Settings => Send us feedback. Chose a subject, a feedback category and describe the problem. Add pictures, if you wish. Device logs will be included in the ticket when you hit the send button. These logs do include internal temperature readings.

I ask other users if they also detect excessive heating even when the device is "off". When it is necessary to raise the volume (especially from HDMI ARC, which tends to have a lower level than the line) the dissipated heat becomes really high.
Thanks
Your ambient temperature affect the amp. It should warm to touch not hot like frying pan. As long it works fine, nothing to concern. Check make sure you have latest firmware. If you’re outside the return windows, they have warranty to cover in case it break.

35 degrees Celsius of ambient temperature is very hot and is not safe for operating any electronic device, hardly a cell phone. Under normal conditions the Amp should get warm at most.

I would advise to not operate the WiiM Amp under these conditions, wait for nightfall when it gets cooler and in a very ventilated area and yes, important to send the feedback ticket to the WiiM team through the Home App.

According to the Wiim Amp User Manual

"The suitable temperature for the product and accessories is 0℃-40℃."

Certainly 35% is very hot, but it is within the stated range for the device.

According to the Wiim Amp User Manual

"The suitable temperature for the product and accessories is 0℃-40℃."

Certainly 35% is very hot, but it is within the stated range for the device.
It would very likely reach 60 degrees after a couple of hours of use which is going to feel hot. I think most amps would reach at least that temperature at that ambient.

While your heat level does seem higher than others', I thought the wiim had an auto shut off if it got too hot.

Reboot it and see if the problem persists across a reboot.

If there's a firmware update, apply it and reboot

While your heat level does seem higher than others', I thought the wiim had an auto shut off if it got too hot.
He hasn't told us the temperature. A temperature rise of around 25C/77F is normal. No doubt it would feel to hot to touch at an ambient of 35C/95F.

When playing Radio Paradise at 50% volume into my (relatively low impedance) LS50 Meta, my Amp settles at 12-13⁰ C above ambient temperature.

This is with some good bass EQ applied.

IMG_20240815_143127.jpg

When playing Radio Paradise at 50% volume into my (relatively low impedance) LS50 Meta, my Amp settles at 12-13⁰ C above ambient temperature.

This is with some good bass EQ applied.

View attachment 10431
I am surprised your temperature rise is so low. I have been listening for nearly two and a half hours in an ambient temperature of 24.4C and the reported temperatures on the status page are
"temperature_cpu": "46", "temperature_tmp102": "51"

I am surprised your temperature rise is so low. I have been listening for nearly two and a half hours in an ambient temperature of 24.4C and the reported temperatures on the status page are
"temperature_cpu": "46", "temperature_tmp102": "51"
Here's one potential reason for our different readings:
Thermometer_1024x752.jpg
😁

When someone said "too hot to touch" I don't necessarily care about the readings of the internal sensors, but the case temperature. 😇

temperature_cpu is ~8⁰C above the case temperature even in standby. I didn't compare the values while playing, so far.

Here's one potential reason for our different readings:
View attachment 10444
😁

When someone said "too hot to touch" I don't necessarily care about the readings of the internal sensors, but the case temperature. 😇

temperature_cpu is ~8⁰C above the case temperature even in standby. I didn't compare the values while playing, so far.
I did wonder if you had used something like that. I just dug out the thermometer we bought during the pandemic. I think my amp has COVID 🤣
PXL_20240815_170925494.MP.jpg

Some infrared thermometers try to correct for different emissivity properties of different materials.

"Surface" should hopefully be more accurate than "Body". Mine gives me a choice between 0.95 and 0.8 without mentioning which might be suited two what surface. :p

Some infrared thermometers try to correct for different emissivity properties of different materials.

"Surface" should hopefully be more accurate than "Body". Mine gives me a choice between 0.95 and 0.8 without mentioning which might be suited two what surface. :p
The worst things to measure are shiny metal surfaces. Sticking a bit of black insulating tape on them helps.

Back