Wiim Class A/B Power AMP

ads42

Hi,
The Wiim Ultra have wonderfull features. The Winamp has already a media player built in.
It would be nice to have now a Wiim Power Amp in Class A/B to pair with the Ultra with of course the same size, so the Ultra can be used as a player and preamplifier and the amp as power amp with better sound than those Class D amplifier.
Just my 2 cents.

Hi,
The Wiim Ultra have wonderfull features. The Winamp has already a media player built in.
It would be nice to have now a Wiim Power Amp in Class A/B to pair with the Ultra with of course the same size, so the Ultra can be used as a player and preamplifier and the amp as power amp with better sound than those Class D amplifier.
Just my 2 cents.
My Linn MDSM/4 is a Class D amp with extremely good sound. Not all Class D implementations need to be improved on by a Class A/B alternative…

My Linn MDSM/4 is a Class D amp with extremely good sound. Not all Class D implementations need to be improved on by a Class A/B alternative…
I was very disapointed with a very expensive Rotel RCX-1500 comming from a NAD Class A/B amplifier. Now I use a Audiolab 6000A amplifier, would like to have a similar sound

I was very disapointed with a very expensive Rotel RCX-1500 comming from a NAD Class A/B amplifier. Now I use a Audiolab 6000A amplifier, would like to have a similar sound
Not surprising. The RCX-1500 stems from the first generation of Class D technology, and considered sort of Stone Age today. We're essentially in the 3rd generation now, especially with e.g. Purifi devices, and both Hypex and ICEpower solutions much improved over earlier iterations. I don't know which components WiiM is stuffing into their amps, but I'd hazard a guess one of them would seriously put your old Rotel amp to shame.

The other issue is manufacturing a good small form factor Class A or AB amp with sufficient power. Given the engineering challenges and tradeoffs, choices are pretty limited for quality equipment. It would be interesting to compare a WiiM amp with, say, something like a Schiit Rekkr. Though they're really intended for different use cases, broadly speaking.

It's a myth, indeed fed by early designs.

There's nothing magically right or even "pure" (as I read somewhere not so long ago) about class AB. In fact, class AB is just a compromise between total absences of crossover distortion of class A and (relative) efficiency of class B.

In the end each concepts has different design challenges to overcome.

Not surprising. The RCX-1500 stems from the first generation of Class D technology, and considered sort of Stone Age today. We're essentially in the 3rd generation now, especially with e.g. Purifi devices, and both Hypex and ICEpower solutions much improved over earlier iterations. I don't know which components WiiM is stuffing into their amps, but I'd hazard a guess one of them would seriously put your old Rotel amp to shame.

The other issue is manufacturing a good small form factor Class A or AB amp with sufficient power. Given the engineering challenges and tradeoffs, choices are pretty limited for quality equipment. It would be interesting to compare a WiiM amp with, say, something like a Schiit Rekkr. Though they're really intended for different use cases, broadly speaking.
Id I'm not wrong the Wiim amp use a TPA3255

My main system amp is built using Purifi 1ET400A modules (class D), three of them for the front three channels. It is a generic implementation and sounds really good.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it is. Purifi modules are among the best class d ones available.
I am running a WiiM Amp now in my bedroom. Works great for what I need, but of course I have thoughts of doing a WiiM Ultra into a Purifi based amp. Complete overkill...but it's in my head!

So I will have to change my point of view.
Waiting for a WiimAmp Ultra or a Wiim Power Amp.

I've never heard a class D amp I prefer the sound of over a Class A/B. I'm sure they exist though.

I am running a WiiM Amp now in my bedroom. Works great for what I need, but of course I have thoughts of doing a WiiM Ultra into a Purifi based amp. Complete overkill...but it's in my head!
I also can't get this configuration out of my head. However, If I'm using sub REL HT 1205 MKII and will be buying soon 2-way stand speakers, I'm not sure If I must have something stronger than Wiim amp pro. Probably not.

What are the differences between Wiim Amp Pro and Wiim Ultra, apart from inputs/outputs, display, and the obvious fact of having the application in Wiim amp pro? Are there any technological solutions in favor of Wiim Ultra?

I've never heard a class D amp I prefer the sound of over a Class A/B. I'm sure they exist though.
Maybe you should ear one, it's possible a complete change of mind, as I had. After an accurate listening session, I gone to class D, with switching power supply and Dirac room correction. Nothing has ever been so satisfying...

Last edited:
I also can't get this configuration out of my head. However, If I'm using sub REL HT 1205 MKII and will be buying soon 2-way stand speakers, I'm not sure If I must have something stronger than Wiim amp pro. Probably not.
Adding a sub will reduce the amount of power required from the Amp. The physical size of a speaker says little to nothing about how hard it is to drive. So, to sum it up the answer "probably not" is quite appropriate. :)

What are the differences between Wiim Amp Pro and Wiim Ultra, apart from inputs/outputs, display, and the obvious fact of having the application in Wiim amp pro? Are there any technological solutions in favor of Wiim Ultra?
Did you mean to write "amplification" instead of "application"? I guess you did.

So far we have nothing but announcements regarding both devices. What is known to be common so far is the DAC chip, in the first place. The differences due to inputs, outputs, display and different physical size are already quite noticeable, I think.

Adding a sub will reduce the amount of power required from the Amp. The physical size of a speaker says little to nothing about how hard it is to drive. So, to sum it up the answer "probably not" is quite appropriate. :)

Did you mean to write "amplification" instead of "application"? I guess you did.

So far we have nothing but announcements regarding both devices. What is known to be common so far is the DAC chip, in the first place. The differences due to inputs, outputs, display and different physical size are already quite noticeable, I think.
Yeah, I meant amplification. I was thinking one word but said another...

I'm still not quite sure what speakers I want. What minimum efficiency do you think such speakers should have If I would go with Wiim Amp Pro, assuming the room is 30m2, and that I have a sub?

Maybe you should ear one, it's possible a complete change of mind, as I had. After an accurate listening session, I gone to class D, with switching power supply and Dirac room correction. Nothing has ever been as satisfying...
Perhaps I've had bad experience, but I find them leaner than my class a/b amps, most my amps are at least 30 years old, (The exception being my Cambridge Audio gear, which is from last year) so perhaps the "sound signature" has changed over time.

My WiiM Amp is the only amp that I have had to adjust from "flat" to sound right, it does sound good with my settings though.

My WiiM Amp is the only amp that I have had to adjust from "flat" to sound right, it does sound good with my settings though.
Out of interest, what sort of adjustments have you made from flat? I find that my Amp sounds great with simple laid back music, but can sound very harsh in the upper mid range and treble, and I tend to get a bit of a distorted sound similar to that from a record when you have fluff on the stylus. Ironically, I don't get this sound when playing cleaned records with a fluff free stylus.

The sound can become fairly irritating, and similar to the sound of early compact disc players, and discs. Perhaps it's the digital sound that I don't really like.

Perhaps I've had bad experience, but I find them leaner than my class a/b amps, most my amps are at least 30 years old, (The exception being my Cambridge Audio gear, which is from last year) so perhaps the "sound signature" has changed over time.

I misunderstood that you never heard a class D...
Anyway the one that made me jump on the other side, is NAD C3050LE, mainly for Dirac...

Back