Wiim Pro coax output issues.

audiobliss

Major Contributor
Started getting intermittent drop outs from my Pro last week. It has gradually gotten worse, so I decided to trouble shoot yesterday.
I checked ethernet cable by switching to Wi-Fi, swapped coax cables, fed my dac with another coax source. Then finally switched to optical out from the Pro and there was no issues.
So, the old Pro has developed a open connection probably where the coax jack is connected inside. Maybe I will try opening it up and take a look.

I believe I have the same issue, or two with my Wiim pro also.
1,when coax out to an Audiolab 7000A, I experienced bursts of white noise and drop outs.
The amp was 2 weeks old from new.
I switched to the 2nd coax in on the amp and the problem resurfaced a week later.
When I switched to analog out from the Wiim, the problem went away.
I recently hooked up the Wiim pro to a Chord Qutest DAC via coax, and the drop outs occured within hours.
When the coax cable is jostled, the problem can be replicated.
Suspect a poor quality coax connection in the Wiim.
Let us know how you get on with the examination.
I may do the same.

I have been using mine with optical out for the past two days with no drop outs, until today. So now I am thinking it's not just the coax connection, but something common to both.
Sometimes it doesn't happen for a while, then when it starts its bad.
A couple times I would reboot the wiim and it works again for a while.
Another strange thing is that it seems to happen with one of my internet stations, more than others. Maybe because it streams at a higher resolution than the others, don't know, but that's the only difference between them.

If the link LED up on your switch / router ? Could it be configured for 1000bT only ?
I have both amp and pro connected on same switch amp get ethernet pro does not. Yes, the green light is on and blinking like the rest of devices connected were all blinking green.

I have both amp and pro connected on same switch amp get ethernet pro does not. Yes, the green light is on and blinking like the rest of devices connected were all blinking green.
Allright I'll spare you the 'have you tried switching cables' :) it does look wonky... I do remember a history of weird issues with the ethernet on WiiM devices but they smelled more like driver bugs to me, this stinks of defective hardware but who knows...

It would be nice to be able to ssh in and troubleshoot :)

I'd love actually if WiiM published at least the kernel source (it's GPL, technically they have to but... maybe linkplay does, I haven't really hunted for it yet) and a way to hook up a serial port & tftp custom kernels :) knowing myself I would probably have rewritten their ethernet driver by now 🤣 in got mad at the one for aspeed BMCs a few years back (ftgmac100) and pulled it appart, doubling it's speed along the way 😀

I tried the optical connection w/o issues yesterday, but it sounded more lifeless than via Coax.
Mind tricks perhaps.
There was another thread that suggested, buffering/clock mismatching between the WiiMs and other brands in the chain. (Shrug).
If my optical connection is also dodgy, I may look elsewhere for a streamer.
Because I could cause dropouts by jostling the coax cable, I'm hopeful that I only have a faulty sample.

My coax been going trouble free, via ethernet, since last night. I have both coax and optical hooked up, so I can switch if one starts acting up.
I have this Pro for about 7 months now with no issues, until this starts happening, but as great as it sounds, a love the app, I think I may start looking for something of a bit more quality.

Both coax and optical started dropping out again last night. I jiggle the connections and pressed on the rear of the Pro and the stuttering stopped. It played fine the rest of the night, and playing now.
Been checking out other options, not much out there that offers what Wiim dose, even for much more money.

Both coax and optical started dropping out again last night. I jiggle the connections and pressed on the rear of the Pro and the stuttering stopped. It played fine the rest of the night, and playing now.
Been checking out other options, not much out there that offers what Wiim dose, even for much more money.
I assume you tried a different cable ? If yes that does sound like the connector on the wiim side is damaged or has bad soldering and the device might need replacing

Back