WiiM Pro + Fosi ZA3 Setup using 12v Trigger Issue and Workaround

guysiah

Hello all, first thread here on the forum. Already submitted a support ticket to WiiM, but figured to make this post for everyone to discuss. Forgive my formatting.

I have 2 WiiM Pro's, 2 Fosi ZA3 amplifiers, and 4 different 2.5mm to 3.5mm cables (2 TS cables, and 2 TRS cables^). I have noticed strange behavior when utilizing the 12v trigger feature. The 2.5mm end of the cable is *fully* inserted to the WiiM Pro 12v Trigger Output. The 3.5mm end of the cable is also *fully* inserted to the Fosi ZA3 12v Trigger Input. When in this configuration, the trigger on/off simply does not work.

BUT, what I have discovered is that the intended function works perfectly ONLY when the 3.5mm end is only *PARTIALLY* inserted into the 12v trigger input of the Fosi ZA3 amp^^(picture below). I do not have a device to measure the exact behavior of these devices. But, I tested this with both of my WiiM Pro devices and Fosi ZA3 amps, and the different cables. It SEEMS to me that the WiiM Pro sends the voltage from the TIP of the cable, but the Fosi ZA3 receives the voltage from the SLEEVE. Slightly useless info: The behavior is identical whether using a TRS cable or a TS cable..

What's next? I will try out this polarity reversing cable, seemingly made for photographers to trigger a flash: PocketWizard Polarity Reversing Cable Adapter MMRP ($10 each).

Has anyone else experienced this? I looked through a few forum discussions but did not see any suggestion for a *partially* inserted cable.

(pro tip: the WiiM Voice Remote on/off button will immediately activate the WiiM trigger sequence. I saw a few people complaining about waiting the 2-2.5 minutes for the WiiM to power off their amp connected to the trigger.)
^ Cables used: TS: Ancable 2-Pack 6-Feet Mono Cable 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug - 12V Trigger Cable for Parasound Amp and Logitech Harmony Hub
TRS: 1 Audio Technica HP-LC, 1 Audio Technica HP-SC
^^ (Image attached shows partially inserted 3.5mm end as described when operating properly.)
IMG_2325.jpg

Last edited:
I am trying to use a WiiM Pro Plus streamer as a source to two (2x) Fosi Audio ZA3 and have the trigger switch them on/off by only using the WiiM amp.

I was disappointed by WiiM customer service’s response: “Sorry, I don't know if there is such a solution , other users usually buy 2 Pro Plus“

I am considering having a custom cable made and curious about input/specs. If anyone has experience, perspective, advice, please let me know! You’ll save me the trouble of crawling under my sofa to switch the system on/off!

Proposed solution: custom cable; 2.5mm male stereo cable into WiiM pro plus, split to two (2x) 3.5mm male mono into each Fosi ZA3. I am using RCA into both ZA3 right channel.

Certainly a custom cable would be a good option, I believe from memory it has to be mono to mono though, I have a single ZA3 which works perfectly with a mono 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable.
I was thinking about getting a 2nd ZA3 so looked at various options and think the best I came up with was 2.5mm mono jack to 3.5mm female socket, then 3.5mm mono jack to 2 x 3.5mm mono sockets and then 2 x 3.5mm jack to jack cables, I've linked to most apart from the cables below

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/...2441&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!491034912148!!!network}!838930841252!&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA_tuuBhAUEiwAvxkgTgJxVIkx97cGP3-gKshwfhDuqYO2dRSrEtkJV6S3c2_u6gBENpRn7xoCG2EQAvD_BwE

One other alternative that may work was a one of these combined with a 2.5mm mono to 3.5mm cable but wasn't sure about the stereo part

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/...4206&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!491034912151!!!network}!894299973783!&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA_tuuBhAUEiwAvxkgTs2ZuTbrJWZdW3anIQEMpGxT_f4Fdyen-q-kpwTToeGfQbsiiTUFNRoCBJsQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Back