WiiM Pro Plus analog output

Loba

The manual says

"Analog Audio Output: It supports up to 384 kHz, 32-bit with its internal DAC. You won’t lose precision when using volume control with analog output for 16-bit or 24-bit audio."

What does that mean exactly?

The manual says

"Analog Audio Output: It supports up to 384 kHz, 32-bit with its internal DAC. You won’t lose precision when using volume control with analog output for 16-bit or 24-bit audio."

What does that mean exactly?
It means I suppose that the samples are converted to 32-bit in the DAC, then the volume attenuation is applied. Think of it as multiplying each sample by 256 (24 bits source) or 65536 (16 bits source) before doing the division for the volume. This means you don't lose as much integer precision as a result, IE you don't quantize the signal as much.

I am considering whether to use a pre-amp DAC between wiim pro plus and my heavy duty class A amp but in a way if i do that, wouldnt it be better off with Wiim pro or even wiim mini

I am considering whether to use a pre-amp DAC between wiim pro plus and my heavy duty class A amp but in a way if i do that, wouldnt it be better off with Wiim pro or even wiim mini
If you’re using an external DAC then I’d suggest a WiiM Pro (or maybe even an Ultra) due to its additional connectivity and features compared to a Mini.

Depends if you plan to use the WiiM analog in. If yes then I would suggest the Pro Plus for the better ADC

It means I suppose that the samples are converted to 32-bit in the DAC, then the volume attenuation is applied. Think of it as multiplying each sample by 256 (24 bits source) or 65536 (16 bits source) before doing the division for the volume. This means you don't lose as much integer precision as a result, IE you don't quantize the signal as much.
Yes, I read that in terms of bit, there's no losses provided the volume lowered is > a certain %, beyond that, on paper no losses but sonically according to some, there's dynamics differences

Am still on the fence whether to directly feed it to the amp or not

Wiim Ultra is out of my budget for my causal listening in office. this is more for my office set up...

my biggest worry is the digital volume maxing out and blowing my speakers and typically i listen at low volumes so dynamics difference a concern.

Yes, I read that in terms of bit, there's no losses provided the volume lowered is > a certain %, beyond that, on paper no losses but sonically according to some, there's dynamics differences

Am still on the fence whether to directly feed it to the amp or not

Wiim Ultra is out of my budget for my causal listening in office. this is more for my office set up...

my biggest worry is the digital volume maxing out and blowing my speakers and typically i listen at low volumes so dynamics difference a concern.

You can put a pair of inline attenuators between WiiM Pro Plus and the amp.

https://www.parts-express.com/home-a-v/audio-video-accessories/line-level-attenuators

You can estimate level of attenuation by converting your maximum listening volume level to dB.

is it considered bit perfect if my digital volume is set at 100% and i output via RCA?

Back