WiiM Pro Plus still not talking to NAS

Jabbawocky

Getting frustrated now. I am not computer literate. I have a WiiM Pro Plus streamer which works fine. I can’t, however, connect it to my WD My Cloud Home NAS. I have been advised to subscribe to Plex, which I’ve done. Message states unable to connect to My Cloud Home securely. I was advised to enable DLNR on Plex app. There is no facility to do this.

Really at a loss. My NAS has accepted photos from both my iPhone and iPad, along with some music contained on a USB though I cannot play them through WiiM

As has been said in the other thread, the WiiM cannot stream music files just sitting on any network storage. A media server of any kind must be running on the NAS.

Think of this a bit like you cannot simply burn a collection of wave files to a data CD-R and play it in a standard CD player. The CD must be specifically created as a Red Book music disc. Technically, this is not a valid comparison, but maybe you're getting the picture.

Many NAS devices come with a pre-installed media server. It looks like the My Cloud Home series does not. At least there is no hint in the user manual. This is why it has been recommended to you to install a Plex server which could act as a DLNA server.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve downloaded Plex on this basis though the Plex app does not communicate with the MyCloud NAS

You do not need the Plex app, it won't help you.

Maybe this review provides more insight on what to do to get the Plex server running on your NAS:

The integration that's most likely to be useful to people is the Plex media server which adds a whole new dimension to the My Cloud Home. You have to sign up for an account and go through a fairly long setup process, and then make sure all your media files are in the appropriate Plex subfolders that are created for you. While the My Cloud Home itself doesn't offer as any kind of media server functionality, Plex lets you discover content within its folders using standard DLNA streaming apps and devices. Unfortunately, you'll have to pay for a Plex Pass subscription if you want to use most of the remote streaming options.

Not the Plex app - that’s a player.

I posted a link about installing Plex server on your NAS on your other thread. Start there.

Or maybe try an app, such as bubbleupnp on android, that can acess / play music files directly from a network location without needing a media server.
i.e. SMB file share.
This ability is supposedly coming to the wiim app around the end of June.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve downloaded Plex on this basis though the Plex app does not communicate with the MyCloud NAS
To get plex running on the MyCloud Home - log into https://home.mycloud.com/ - I'm assuming you registered when setting up the NAS?

Click on - Do More

Plex is in there, once you have set it up plex will create a folder in which is a shared music folder - move your music to that.

Consider downloading the plex amp app as it's geared to music

Back