WiiM Ultra buzz noise when using: USB DAC + Trigger simultaneously

pjorgenunes

Hi,

Firstly just wanna say I'm thrilled with my WiiM Ultra (will do a full review in a short while :) ).

For now I have one issue:

When I connect the trigger out of WiiM Ultra to trigger in of my AMP (Fosi Audio ZA3) and have my USB DAC (Topping D10S) simultaneously I got a kind of low buzz + RF like interference in my speakers.

Strangly there is no noise if:
1 - I use trigger connection but with internal DAC;
2 - I don't use trigger connection and external USB DAC.

The problem only arises when I use both simultaneously...

Any ideas? 🙏

PS - The topping USB DAC is powered via the USB connection itself. I already use it directly to WiiM's USB, via unpowered USB HUB and external powered USB HUB and the behaviour is always as noted.

BR,
Paulo

Make sure the Trigger cable is properly seated at both ends.
Thanks. It is (tried two different cables). The strange thing is that it only happens when External DAC + Trigger. With trigger only it's all ok.

PS - Never tried with a mono trigger cable... but I've always used stereo ones in several equipments (including this setup without using external DAC) and it always worked before.

Thanks. It is (tried two different cables). The strange thing is that it only happens when External DAC + Trigger. With trigger only it's all ok.

PS - Never tried with a mono trigger cable... but I've always used stereo ones in several equipments (including this setup without using external DAC) and it always worked before.
Definitely try a mono cable.

Strange between USB DAC (which is powered by the USB itseld) and trigger...

Each one alone doesn't produce the noise... :S
If in your pipeline any of the components has a 2 prong power plug, try to reverse it. If that first reversal does not work, reverse it back and try another one.

There may be some insight to be had in this thread.

Meanwhile,

Anybody is using trigger out and an USB DAC simultaneously?

BR,
Paulo
Hi @pjorgenunes
I have the trigger out of my Ultra connected to trigger in of my Topping D70Pro Sabre. The trigger cable (50 cm) is stereo. Everything works perfectly. When I don't play music I have absolute silence. Absolutely no noise. Not even the smallest

Hi to all,

Firstly I want to thank you from your inputs.

I've kind of partially solve the issue.

When I was experiment the "non complete insertion of the trigger cable on the FOSI AMP" I've noticed that, when my hand touched the trigger cable or move to some different position the noise reduced and even disappeared.
So I believe I was picking up some RF noise of some kind (supposely from the WiiM Ultra or the Topping D10S USB DAC).

I've now no noise and all working great.

The next step will be to try a a well shielded trigger cable or so.

When replacing the trigger cable, a 2 conductor (mono) cable is all that should be required. Match the cable to the plug size and configuration.
Some cable management tips to consider:
Avoid coiling. Chose cables of appropriate lengths.
When crossing cables of different voltages and signal types, do so at right angles.
Do not bundle cables of different voltages and signal types together.

Back