WiiM Ultra

using the ARC input, what is the advantage as opposed to the Optical out from my TV? the Input is not eARC and my Sony has copy protected eARC anyway.

Using HDMI ARC the TV will still spit out 48/16 same as Optical? I realize the Wiim would be used for streaming Tidal, but for TV, using the Optical passthrough in my Pro seems similar?

Thinking about the Ultra, just not sure it makes sense over my Pro with basic DAC to my 2.0 powered speakers. One box is nice of course.

using the ARC input, what is the advantage as opposed to the Optical out from my TV? the Input is not eARC and my Sony has copy protected eARC anyway.

Using HDMI ARC the TV will still spit out 48/16 same as Optical? I realize the Wiim would be used for streaming Tidal, but for TV, using the Optical passthrough in my Pro seems similar?

Thinking about the Ultra, just not sure it makes sense over my Pro with basic DAC to my 2.0 powered speakers. One box is nice of course.
Similar, yes.
Volume control from the TV remote.
A spare optical input for something else.
5.1 downmix.
Anything else, anyone? What have I forgotten?

I have the Ultra Home for testing. The coax out connection (not the connection itself but the space around it) too small, my cable can’t fit as it supposed, normaly I screw it until it is stucked on the connection, but it’s not possible because of the small space around the connection.
My good cables don’t fit into the recessed rca ports. May need some sort of extension adapter?
Something I’d rather not do.
I’m also concerned with the build quality at the ports. At the price point I understand, it’s just something I’ve not seen mentioned .
I understand most won’t notice this as they just plug and play. I seem to be trying different things with my equipment quite often and that’s the cause of my concern .

My good cables don’t fit into the recessed rca ports. May need some sort of extension adapter?
Something I’d rather not do.
I’m also concerned with the build quality at the ports. At the price point I understand, it’s just something I’ve not seen mentioned .
I understand most won’t notice this as they just plug and play. I seem to be trying different things with my equipment quite often and that’s the cause of my concern .
Yes the ports are a bit creeky, slightly concerning, I get why they're recessed but for me rather it not be.

Similar, yes.
5.1 downmix.
Switching off the Ultra instantly with the TV remote, if that is considered an advantage.

Similar, yes.
5.1 downmix.

I need 5.1 downmix, if this works better from HDMI ARC I will get the Ultra.

I've not explicitely tried it, but wim's faq page says, in relation to hdmi, "Yes, it supports Dolby Digital 5.1 audio."

Optical supports DD which is compressed of course, curious about how well the center channel can work with 2.0 system. If any improvement at all it's worth the upgrade, I'm pretty sure would still be locked at 48/16 ARC or optical from the TV?

On second thought I think the TV is set to PCM so only outputs 2.0 anyway - didn't think of that...

Last edited:
For me volume level +1 step is too much at night. Can it be changed to some fraction of db?
Hi Stan. Have you tried changing the pre gain slightly on your input source as a temporary measure. Go to audio input in the app and scroll down to the pre gain and select your source and fine tune from there. I don't know what input or output you are using or what amp? But this may help.

As I can't remember where it was on the forum, let me ask these 3 questions here. Sorry if first two are dumb :)

1. If I set volume limit at 50% + I listen at 30% volume level, does the quality of the sound degrade enough to be audible?
  2. Does changing the line out level from 2Vrms to 1Vrms, from the point of view of sound quality degradation, mean the same as turning down the volume by half?
  3. Has it finally been confirmed that it will be possible to use both USB out to an external DAC and sub out to use a suuboofer?

Last edited:
As I can't remember where it was on the forum, let me ask these 3 questions here. Sorry if first two are dumb :)
  1. If I set volume limit at 50% + I listen at 40-50% volume level, does the quality of the sound degrade enough to be audible?
  2. Does changing the line out level from 2Vrms to 1Vrms, from the point of view of sound quality degradation, mean the same as turning down the volume by half?
  3. Has it finally been confirmed that it will be possible to use both USB out to an external DAC and sub out to use a suuboofer?
Re 3, I haven't seen it confirmed, and re 2&3 try them and see what you think - what's audible or degraded is entirely subjective imho

Is it? I tho that this is something that can be measured. For example loss of sound dynamics
What does loss of sound dynamics mean? If a sound is twice as loud as another sound it will still be twice as loud at any volume level.

1. If I set volume limit at 50% + I listen at 30% volume level, does the quality of the sound degrade enough to be audible?
The real question is why you'd want to lower the volume.

If your power amp/powered speaker has a high input sensitivity (low input voltage for full power), then you should lower the Ultra's output voltage accordingly.

Back