2 Minor Ultra Issues

netguyinPA

Just received and setup my Ultra this weekend. What a great device for just a little money!

The system the Ultra is connected to is very simple: ULTRA (Line out)>> Carver M400t >> Acoustech Pl-200 II >> Klipsch RP-600M.

I primarily use Amazon Music Unlimited for my source. I also listen to iHeartRadio for clean streams of local radio stations.

With Amazon music, I get inconsistent streams when using UHD tracks, sometimes 44.1kHz, sometimes 96, and rarely 192kHz. All UHD tracks are capable of 192kHz. I thought that perhaps there is a transport problem, as I am using wireless as my source. So I ran an ethernet cable, but the results were still inconsistent, and I saw no obvious difference. Is it possible that the rate is being set on Amazon's end when the data stream is started, based on load? I'm going to further test with some local files to take the internet connection out of the equation.

The other issue is much less important, but still puzzling. My local radio stations on iHeartRadio do not stream at all. I can stream from other devices on the same network (laptop, tablet, phone, Echo), but not from the Ultra. It acts like a digital rights (local filtering) issue on the Ultra, but that is not the case with these other devices using the same global IP address.

If I'm misunderstanding how this should work, please feel free to educate me!

It entirely depends what Amazon have in their library. Not everything has a UHD version.

On the radio issue try finding the station url and use Open Network Stream. May work

With Amazon music, I get inconsistent streams when using UHD tracks, sometimes 44.1kHz, sometimes 96, and rarely 192kHz. All UHD tracks are capable of 192kHz. I thought that perhaps there is a transport problem, as I am using wireless as my source. So I ran an ethernet cable, but the results were still inconsistent, and I saw no obvious difference. Is it possible that the rate is being set on Amazon's end when the data stream is started, based on load? I'm going to further test with some local files to take the internet connection out of the equation.
I fear you’re misunderstanding what the Amazon Music Unlimited service contains, which is pretty much in line with all the major streaming services.

To quote Amazon’s faq page: “Amazon Music offers lossless audio in two quality ranges: HD and Ultra HD. HD tracks have a bit depth of 16-bits, a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps. Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits, sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps.”

So while the catalogue contains UHD tracks which can range from 24/44.1 to 24/192, you’re incorrect in saying all UHD tracks are capable of 24/192 - only a fraction of tracks in their catalogue are UHD with most I’d say at 24/44.1 or 24/48, some at 24/96 and the smallest number at 24/192. Indeed, 16 bit HD tracks greatly outnumber UHD tracks as per this graphic

IMG_8910.jpeg

So really, UHD tracks at 24/192 are a fraction of an already small fraction of the total number of tracks available in Amazon Music’s Unlimited catalogue, and as I say above, they’re no different in that respect to say Tidal or Qobuz.

It should also be noted that it’s often said that a well mastered 16/44.1 album can outshine a relatively poorer mastered 24/96 or 24/192 album, so I wouldn’t get hung up on the resolution or the quantity of albums at higher resolutions present in any streaming service.

Last edited:
The other issue is much less important, but still puzzling. My local radio stations on iHeartRadio do not stream at all. I can stream from other devices on the same network (laptop, tablet, phone, Echo), but not from the Ultra. It acts like a digital rights (local filtering) issue on the Ultra, but that is not the case with these other devices using the same global IP address.
Re iHeartRadio, I suspect it’s because the WiiM home app doesn’t know your location in order to serve stations local to you.

See https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/...-i-see-only-us-stations-in-the-wiim-app.2826/

I guess as suggested in that post that you use the iHeartRadio app and use Chromecast to send the audio to your Ultra, assuming the app supports ChromeCast. If it doesn’t you may be constrained to using Bluetooth.

I fear you’re misunderstanding what the Amazon Music Unlimited service contains, which is pretty much in line with all the major streaming services.

To quote Amazon’s faq page: “Amazon Music offers lossless audio in two quality ranges: HD and Ultra HD. HD tracks have a bit depth of 16-bits, a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps. Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits, sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps.”

So while the catalogue contains UHD tracks which can range from 24/44.1 to 24/192, you’re incorrect in saying all UHD tracks are capable of 24/192 - only a fraction of tracks in their catalogue are UHD with most I’d say at 24/44.1 or 24/48, some at 24/96 and the smallest number at 24/192. Indeed, 16 bit HD tracks greatly outnumber UHD tracks as per this graphic

View attachment 10081

So really, UHD tracks at 24/192 are a fraction of an already small fraction of the total number of tracks available in Amazon Music’s Unlimited catalogue, and as I say above, they’re no different in that respect to say Tidal or Qobuz.

It should also be noted that it’s often said that a well mastered 16/44.1 album can outshine a relatively poorer mastered 24/96 or 24/192 album, so I wouldn’t get hung up on the resolution or the quantity of albums at higher resolutions present in any streaming service.
The results that I reported were all with UHD tracks.

If you haven't used it before, Amazon Music Unlimited tags all songs as either SD, HD or UHD. I was only testing with those tagged by Amazon as UHD. I misunderstood UHD to be 24-bit/192kHz. So I was wrong to expect they would all be played on the Ultra at 24/192.

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

If you haven't used it before, Amazon Music Unlimited tags all songs as either SD, HD or UHD. I was only testing with those tagged by Amazon as UHD. I understood UHD to be 24-bit/192kHz. So was I wrong to expect they would all be played on the Ultra at 24/192?
Hi netguyinPA,

As Burnside quoted from the Amazon Music FAQ, Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits and sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz. I hope this clarifies. You can also verify this information directly in the Amazon Music app.

If you haven't used it before, Amazon Music Unlimited tags all songs as either SD, HD or UHD. I was only testing with those tagged by Amazon as UHD. I understood UHD to be 24-bit/192kHz. So was I wrong to expect they would all be played on the Ultra at 24/192?
Yes, you were mistaken. As I quoted above, UHD tracks range from 24/44.1 thru 24/48, to 24/96 and 24/192, with the 24/192 tracks being in the minority. In Amazon’s parlance, SD means lossy MP3 (which I’ve yet to see in Unlimited, just in Prime or Free), HD means 16 bit and UHD means 24bit.

Edit: I’ve used Amazon Music since it came out and have actively been involved with Alexa and Amazon Music forums and have had various pieces of kit in my pursuit of playing bit perfect lossless Amazon Music, so I have used it before - extensively :)

Just received and setup my Ultra this weekend. What a great device for just a little money!

The system the Ultra is connected to is very simple: ULTRA (Line out)>> Carver M400t >> Acoustech Pl-200 II >> Klipsch RP-600M.

I primarily use Amazon Music Unlimited for my source. I also listen to iHeartRadio for clean streams of local radio stations.

If I'm misunderstanding how this should work, please feel free to educate me!
Hi netguyinPA,

For issues with your local radio station on iHeartRadio, please submit a ticket through the WiiM Home App. Just go to the 'Settings' tab and select 'Feedback.' Our team will address the issue promptly. Thank you for your cooperation!

Back