WiiM Ultra Airplay 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my library of local files in Plexserver with DLNA activated so I can play them from the WiiM-app. Works both seemless, reliable and very fast operstion. Plays 24/192-files with startup within 1 sec šŸ‘šŸ»

When you have Your music in Plex-server you can also use the original Plex or Plexamp-apps on Your phone and hand off the stream to the WiiM via Chromecast. No problem with 24/192. Only drawback with Chromecast is that it isnt gapless if thatā€™s important to you.
Thank you for answering this! Maybe I will set it up and test it and return it if it is awful.

I have my library of local files in Plexserver with DLNA activated so I can play them from the WiiM-app. Works both seemless, reliable and very fast operstion. Plays 24/192-files with startup within 1 sec šŸ‘šŸ»

When you have Your music in Plex-server you can also use the original Plex or Plexamp-apps on Your phone and hand off the stream to the WiiM via Chromecast. No problem with 24/192. Only drawback with Chromecast is that it isnt gapless if thatā€™s important to you.
I am really surprised you say itā€™s very fast. Itā€™s complete opposite for me. If I attempt to open All Artists it takes about 25 seconds to open a blank page. Similar for other browse methods in the app. The only thing that sort of works is by folder.
My library is 50k tracks.

I am really surprised you say itā€™s very fast. Itā€™s complete opposite for me. If I attempt to open All Artists it takes about 25 seconds to open a blank page. Similar for other browse methods in the app. The only thing that sort of works is by folder.
My library is 50k tracks.
Just to clarify - it was asked how Plex and DLNA worked with WiiM. My experience here is with the original WiiM Pro.

All artists-page take 3 seconds. Further browsing is instant (1sec), included selecting musicfiles for playback.

Around 20k tracks
Stored on a SSD inside a Tower-PC, Win10
PC and WiiM connected with ethernet
500/500 mbps fibre-internet subscription

Just had another look at my Plex server DLNA. Access using the WiiM app just doesnā€™t work for All Artists or By Album. Just blank pages after 25 seconds or so. Other menu items do return data but Iā€™d hardly call it snappy.

Using mconnect the performance is much better. Still takes a while but all menu items do return results. Usable but far from optimum.

LMS with Material as the ā€œcontrol pointā€ for a WiiM is virtually instant (not DLNA).

Edit
All my servers are wired at 1gbps. My iPhone which runs WiiM app is obviously wireless but getting 250mbps up and down.

A follow up question with this information in mind, how well does the Ultra work with DLNA music servers (since the "official" plex integration is still in the works)?
I wouldn't spend too much time looking for an alternative for your local music since Plex(amp) support is supposed to be coming with a first beta later this month :)

It was a dealbreaker for me, and I canceled my preorder and will keep using my ProPlus. I use Tidal 90% of the time, so that isnā€™t the issue, but occasionally I want to stream Bandcamp, a podcast, or a YouTube video from an iOS device.

I wish they were mere upfront about whether/when a revision with AirPlay will be released. Promising openness and honesty in a thread about past mistakes regarding their communication about AirPlay, only to lock it and keep shtum again, is not really a good look in my book.

Itā€™s probably why it was selling at 330 instead of 350 because of missing feature. They did poll on this what price you want to pay. Of course they choose the lowest.

Itā€™s probably why it was selling at 330 instead of 350 because of missing feature. They did poll on this what price you want to pay. Of course they choose the lowest.
Makes no sense šŸ˜… adding it for 20 extra would've been a no-brainer.
It was a dealbreaker for me, and I canceled my preorder and will keep using my ProPlus. I use Tidal 90% of the time, so that isnā€™t the issue, but occasionally I want to stream Bandcamp, a podcast, or a YouTube video from an iOS device.

I wish they were mere upfront about whether/when a revision with AirPlay will be released. Promising openness and honesty in a thread about past mistakes regarding their communication about AirPlay, only to lock it and keep shtum again, is not really a good look in my book.
This... They probably will never say if/when the newer batches of the Ultra supporting Airplay will come. Just to keep the sales going.

[ā€¦]

We recognize this may be disappointing for users who primarily use AirPlay. We suggest connecting your Apple device to the WiiM Ultra via Bluetooth, which offers the same sound quality as AirPlay using the 256kbps AAC codec.
Is this really the same thing? No downsides compared to AirPlay 2? Honest question, I really donā€™t know.

Makes no sense šŸ˜… adding it for 20 extra would've been a no-brainer.

This... They probably will never say if/when the newer batches of the Ultra supporting Airplay will come. Just to keep the sales going.
Would you pay 350 not having airplay feature? If it has that feature Iā€™m certain it would be 350.

Is this really the same thing? No downsides compared to AirPlay 2? Honest question, I really donā€™t know.
Definitely not... Airplay streaming can always be initiated from any iOS/Mac device on your network, without first having to do pairing. Airplay can work from a single app while with Bluetooth it's all or nothing. It also works as long as you're in range of your WiFi or connected to the network while Bluetooth is direct communication between devices so limited in range. If you have Homepod speakers or other Airplay endpoints, you can add the Ultra to (existing) speaker groups.

Last edited:

No need to buy if what you want donā€™t have it. I do the same thing.

Would you pay 350 not having airplay feature? If it has that feature Iā€™m certain it would be 350.
You mean pay 350$ when it did have the feature? Yes definitely.

Don't forget that in Europe it is ā‚¬400 even - without the feature.

This tread should be close. Why? Wiim already stated it wonā€™t have it because of missing chip and canā€™t be done via firmware update. People keep bashing why it doesnā€™t have or connecting additional hardware just to have it. Donā€™t buy it if that feature is must to have or just use Bluetooth or connect external device to get airplay. I know itā€™s inconvenient but it is what it is at this point in time.

It has been answered by WiiM over and over again. Right in this forum.
Has it though? The Ultra does not have the necessary chip so it doesnā€™t have AirPlay is what has been communicated.

But why it was designed without the chip has never been clarified. Thereā€™s one part of the puzzle that has not been revealed which has lead to many speculations.

We recognize this may be disappointing for users who primarily use AirPlay.
I honestly appreciate Wiim/Linkplay. What they do totally right imo is understand the importance of software. And writing good software is a tough job, a job they do well. Oftentimes youā€™ll see posts here were people ask WiiM to ā€œjust addā€ feature X, Y or Z as if itā€™s three lines of code. Those posters has no clue what maintaining a stable platform is like. Itā€™s hard work.

And I also appreciate the engagement WiiM has with its customers. That too is hard work and they go the distance.

Except for this dossier. Information-wise something is being held back. And no Airplay is not just ā€œdisappointingā€, itā€™s a dealbreaker for me and others. It is disappointing in one respect: the Ultra is an amazing product that otherwise be perfect for my needs. So for now I will stick with my WiiM Amp. However itā€™s a shame to know I could have it even better were it not for the lack of this one feature.

Should it? I think there is valuable feedback for Wiim in the replies. You can say just donā€™t buy it but I could retort just donā€™t read the posts.
Wiim itself already explained. How much more you need?

Wiim itself already explained. How much more you need?
All they said is why it's not there in current models and never will be... And it seemed like a very last-minute decision given how they communicated it only after the first units started shipping.

We got no additional info about availability in future batches or the certification process. As far as we know, this is still ongoing.

And there's no denying that locking threads on this forum without warning is a bit fishy.

All they said is why it's not there in current models and never will be... And it seemed like a very last-minute decision given how they communicated it only after the first units started shipping.

We got no additional info about availability in future batches or the certification process. As far as we know, this is still ongoing.
Iā€™m on the same boat as you are in fact they even stated it will be available via firmware update once it get itā€™s certification. Until one day I read that it wonā€™t have it because of misding chip. So from that point when they did the poll how much you want to pay for it majority pick 350 the lowest price to choose from. When it was released it was 330 so you may think what gives? So my reasoning why it was 330 because of missing feature.

But why it was designed without the chip has never been clarified. Thereā€™s one part of the puzzle that has not been revealed which has lead to many speculations.
And it wouldn't make any difference, anyway. The Ultra is not AirPlay certified and the current SKU never will be. Period.

WiiM confirmed that they believed the Ultra to be ready to pass AirPlay certification. Some other party involved in the certification process decided otherwise. Who do you think could be the party issuing certification or not at their own discretion? Hint: It ain't WiiM.

If WiiM were in a position to disclose further details on why the certification didn't happen, why should they keep to themselves? The reverse conclusion is valid.

And it seemed like a very last-minute decision given how they communicated it only after the first units started shipping.
Who made the decision to not certify the Ultra? Come on, it's not that hard.

Nobody ever said it's ongoing. It might come at some later point in time or it might just not. Only WiiM and said other party might have an idea. WiiM could just as well end up stripping AirPlay support from all upcoming products. We don't know, maybe they still don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back