WiiM Ultra Airplay 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who made the decision to not certify the Ultra? Come on, it's not that hard.
If mr Cook decided not to clear the Ultra to use Airplay, then it's probably never going to come and I'd order my Ultra tomorrow and just airplay to my tv. We just need to hear from WiiM themselves. Currently we're all speculating.

There might've been other obstacles or specific requirements not fulfilled or not confirmed in time, delaying the certification process.

Last edited:
We just need to hear from WiiM themselves. Currently we're all speculating.
Well, there's absolutely no speculation about who decides on AirPlay certification. :)

The only thing you are speculating about is whether there will be an upcoming Ultra revision featuring AirPlay. The obvious answer is that we don't know. If it's important to you, go with a Mini, Pro, Pro Plus or Amp or keep your money for now.

Well, there's absolutely no speculation about who decides on AirPlay certification. :)
No of course not... And his evil plan to create chaos and division in this wonderful community seems to be working.
1000032224.jpg

Last edited:
WiiM confirmed that they believed the Ultra to be ready to pass AirPlay certification. Some other party involved in the certification process decided otherwise. Who do you think could be the party issuing certification or not at their own discretion?
Where did WiiM state this? I believe I have read everything regarding this affair but I cannot recall anything close to this description of events. Honestly and sincerely point me to the source of this narrative otherwise my previous statement still stands:

which has lead to many speculations.

If there’s anything I would like to see an improvement on Apple would be their airplay. They could atlist make it to support 24/192.

Honestly and sincerely point me to the source of this narrative otherwise my previous statement still stands:
Sorry, but that's not how it works. The only "narrative" is on your part. You cannot run around stating arbitrary stuff and claim it's true just because nobody proofed you wrong and you're too lazy to look up what WiiM really said.

But anyway, here you go:

The only party deciding about if a certification is issued or not is Apple. Manufacturers don't have right to sell AirPlay certified devices. Apple will decide if you pass or not. Won't provide you with another link. Just search for MFi certification and read what Apple have to say about it.

Linkplay also sells Arylic Up2Stream Pro board ($49) that supports AirPlay and 4STREAM app (which one can control both WiiM and Arylic). Then, group Ultra and Up2Stream together. Alternatively, you can connect SPDIF output to Ultra's optical input via converter. Kind janky solution, though!

Another one is Arylic S10. It comes with case and PSU.

Linkplay also sells Arylic Up2Stream Pro board ($49) that supports AirPlay and 4STREAM app (which one can control both WiiM and Arylic). Then, group Ultra and Up2Stream together. Alternatively, you can connect SPDIF output to Ultra's optical input via converter. Kind janky solution, though!

Another one is Arylic S10. It comes with case and PSU.
In all Likehood Linkplay is simply not allowed by Apple to say anything... "or else...".

I have been in and around large corporations enough and close enough to people dealing with the (in)famous fruit company to be well aware that they play dirty and *will* absolutely enforce that nothing is publicly said that will expose whatever nasty they are doing with Airplay under penalty of breaking existing software and/or devices.

I don't know if any of this relates at all to the fiasco with Airplay casting... It does smell like it. IMHO either the certification is being blocked in retaliation, or they are 'upping' the vendor lock-in across the board to further monetize the 'right' to play in their walled garden.

In any case I'm pretty sure the not-fine-at-all print will have hefty non disclosure clauses.

Even the survival of this post would surprise me on a WiiM owned forum...

In all Likehood Linkplay is simply not allowed by Apple to say anything... "or else...".

I have been in and around large corporations enough and close enough to people dealing with the (in)famous fruit company to be well aware that they play dirty and *will* absolutely enforce that nothing is publicly said that will expose whatever nasty they are doing with Airplay under penalty of breaking existing software and/or devices.

I don't know if any of this relates at all to the fiasco with Airplay casting... It does smell like it. IMHO either the certification is being blocked in retaliation, or they are 'upping' the vendor lock-in across the board to further monetize the 'right' to play in their walled garden.

In any case I'm pretty sure the not-fine-at-all print will have hefty non disclosure clauses.

Even the survival of this post would surprise me on a WiiM owned forum...
This is my speculation. Based on my search for an audio streamer that supports both AirPlay2 and Chromecast, I end up with WiiM Pro / Pro+ / Amp. I am sure I miss some. In order to maintain Apple or Google echo system, a device supporting both protocols is seen as disruption. These 3 WiiM products are just like that.

This tread should be close. Why? Wiim already stated it won’t have it because of missing chip and can’t be done via firmware update. People keep bashing why it doesn’t have or connecting additional hardware just to have it. Don’t buy it if that feature is must to have or just use Bluetooth or connect external device to get airplay. I know it’s inconvenient but it is what it is at this point in time.
Well, no one is forced to read a thread about AirPlay 2 on the Ultra, as it already says in the title, just as no one is forced to buy an Ultra. Why close all the threads?

Well, no one is forced to read a thread about AirPlay 2 on the Ultra, as it already says in the title, just as no one is forced to buy an Ultra. Why close all the threads?
At this point majority knows it’s not going to have airplay. Why keep trying to emphasis it? There are more important and relevant than this topic.

It's still unclear if the new revision of the Ultra with added MFi chip and Airplay support is planned to be released or not.

It has been answered by WiiM over and over again. Right in this forum.
Where have they explained the reasoning for not adding the hardware to support it. That’s what I am questioning. I know why it doesn’t support airplay just not the rational to decide to not add it to a premium product to start with. Airplay likely has more users than Roon or LMS combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back