24bit toslink out to DAC broken. Wiim fixed it for me!.

Yes, I’m using my amp’s DAC. As has been said above, you might be hitting problems with Chromecast. You should preferably be using AlexaCast which shows as a round casting icon in the Amazon Music app, not the rectangular Chromecast one. If you don’t see a round cast target, make sure you have linked to your Alexa account on the Ultra’s Browse page.

In the Amazon music app, open Device Connections and make sure Ultra is connected to Alexa Cast.

Alexacast is a round icon, Chromecast is a square icon.
View attachment 9974
I noticed both of these and tried both but I didn't know which was which. Both of them showed the weird behaviour! Let me double check that tho.

Ok here is a YouTube video I made of the behaviour showing it not working when playing 24 bit tracks when toslink set to 24 bit. But it does work when playing 16 bit tracks when set to 24 bit

Ok here is a YouTube video I made of the behaviour showing it not working when playing 24 bit tracks when toslink set to 24 bit. But it does work when playing 16 bit tracks when set to 24 bit
And here is a video of it working playing 24 bit tracks when I set the toslink out to only 16 bit. Pretty conclusive. This happens with Alexacast and Chromecast, and when playing from Amazon app, or wiim at home, or the voice remote.

Please submit a support ticket from WHA immediately after that issue occurs. The team will check the logs on your device.

Btw, I played the same track as you did and did not have the problem.
My system = Ultra >> (Optical 24bit/192khz) >> Topping DAC

Please submit a support ticket from WHA immediately after that issue occurs. The team will check the logs on your device.

Btw, I played the same track as you did and did not have the problem.
My system = Ultra >> (Optical 24bit/192khz) >> Topping DAC
Are you playing with amazon music?

Using optical supplied by wiim is good no need to upgrade.
I will contest that statement.. I had dropouts, even at 16/44.1 using the supplied optical cable. Cheap Amazon toslink works great at 24/192 now. YMMV.

I will contest that statement.. I had dropouts, even at 16/44.1 using the supplied optical cable. Cheap Amazon toslink works great at 24/192 now. YMMV.
Wait wait? You had the same issues as me with lag due to the supplied toslink and it fixed with a different cable? Tbh I prefer coaxial so I've got one coming tomorrow to test. Thanks.

You may have gotten a bad toslink. I purchase other wiim that comes with toslink none are bad.

Wait wait? You had the same issues as me with lag due to the supplied toslink and it fixed with a different cable? Tbh I prefer coaxial so I've got one coming tomorrow to test. Thanks.
That same toslink cable comes with all WiiM devices, not just with the Ultra.

My negative experience was with the optical cable that came with my WiiM Pro. Every few minutes I'd get a dropout in the audio (even at 16/44.1), with it being worse at higher sampling rates. The one that came with the Ultra looked the same, so I just threw it directly in the trash to avoid future headaches. I suppose I should've tested it first.

Ok. Bought a coaxial cable to connect out of ultra into DAC. It works perfectly now playing 24bit/96k. So the optical cable, or the optical output on my unit cannot support 24bit play into an external DAC. It also is much much faster to play with no lag unlike before when it took 4-5 second to play a track.

Ok. Bought a coaxial cable to connect out of ultra into DAC. It works perfectly now playing 24bit/96k. So the optical cable, or the optical output on my unit cannot support 24bit play into an external DAC. It also is much much faster to play with no lag unlike before when it took 4-5 second to play a track.
Or there’s an issue with the optical input on your DAC or incompatibility with the cable and the Ultra, but I would have expected WiiM to have identified any issue on the Ultra from your device logs. Glad you have it working - enjoy the music :)

Back