32bit playback is garbled

sscott

Just received my Ultra - nice looking unit.
However, I bought this to play my 32bit WAV files generated through my RME unit.
The files created can be played via USB back to the RME unit which proves the files are fine.
They also play fine via Media Player on laptop.
When routed using LMS it is garbled.
I can play 24bit FLAC filez just fine.
The only reason I bought the Ultra was for 32bit playback using LMS.
Anybody using Ultra to play 32bit WAV files sucessfully?

However, I bought this to play my 32bit WAV files generated through my RME unit.
The files created can be played via USB back to the RME unit which proves the files are fine.
I’m not sure if I’m right but all wiim devices are supported 24bit max. You may want to send wiim message via app and they can give you concrete answer.

Didn’t you ask this earlier and were advised that LMS itself doesn’t support 32 bit files? Can’t you get LMS to transcode these to 24 bit?

I have only ever seen a couple of posts over at Slimdevices concerning 32bit files. They are so rare at present that the subject just doesn't come up. I can't tell you if a normal Squeezelite instance even supports them. The WiiM version is slightly different tto the norm in any event (it doesn't support ALAC for example).

For expediency I'd create FLAC copies converted to 24/192.

I have only ever seen a couple of posts over at Slimdevices concerning 32bit files. They are so rare at present that the subject just doesn't come up. I can't tell you if a normal Squeezelite instance even supports them. The WiiM version is slightly different tto the norm in any event (it doesn't support ALAC for example).

For expediency I'd create FLAC copies converted to 24/192.
As I suggested, can’t LMS transcode them on the fly?

As I suggested, can’t LMS transcode them on the fly?
I'm really not sure.
The fixed transcoding rules are based on File types foremost e.g. WAV to FLAC etc

LMS will transcode the file bit depth if it detects that the player can't handle a particular level e.g. an unmodified SB Touch can only handle 24/96 but with the EDO applet this can be increased to 24/192 over all digital outputs as the device has USB type 2.0. If you play a 24/192 track on an unmodified SB Touch it is transcoded down to 24/96 but there is no rule that sets this.

I think I'd try putting a sample 32bit WAV file onto a USB stick and try playing using the Ultra from there i.e. is it Ultra per se or Squeezelite, but as I say I'm not even sure that LMS really supports 32bit files.

Thanks, if I remember later, I’ll try some sample 32 bit wav files

There is also a question what kind of 32 bit files we are talking about, integer or float.

There is also a question what kind of 32 bit files we are talking about, integer or float.
Indeed. The more I think about it the more I think that LMS and therefore Squeezelite in any guise does not support 32 bit files at all.

I can play 32 bit WAV file via USB to my RME unit from a laptop. I have not tried going from my ULTRA via USB to my RME unit yet - but will shortly.

UPDATE:
Apparently you CANNOT use the ULTRA USB to go to an external DAC.....

Last edited:
I can play 32 bit WAV file via USB to my RME unit from a laptop. I have not tried going from my ULTRA via USB to my RME unit yet - but will shortly.

UPDATE:
Apparently you CANNOT use the ULTRA USB to go to an external DAC.....
No you can’t but it’s a planned update I believe.

Where did you get these 32bit WAVs?

I think the issue may well be that the specs of the WiiMs DAC chip says that it supports 32/768 but this does not mean that the rest of the hardware/software combination does.

I have 2 or 3 USB DACs with 32bit support but as there are no commercially available 32bit audio files available it’s academic and I have never tried to play any. I suspect if I had some 32bit audio files they would only play via PC (with correct drivers installed).

CrystalGispsy, Where is this stated? I have not seen any restrictions on this and my understanding is Lyrion is a file guide and no process is done, just file routing - done well however.
d6jg, I made the 32bit files using Vinyl Studio to digitize some of my vinyl collection.
I used a Moving Coil cartridge on a Michelle turntable through a Carver Symphonic Reference preamp to a RME ADI-2 Pro FS R which is a mastering quality 32bit high sampling unit.
I made the 32bit files in WAV format.
The files, played back through the same RME which is an AD/DA unit.
It sounds just a ‘hair’ under what ‘live’ listening sounds like which is my goal.
I mention all the gear in the audio line not to impress, but indicate how serious I am about doing this.
I really want to be able to do this. So far, WiiM has been helpful, they cannot replicate what I am seeing and want some of my files - which is a start.
Thanks to All.

Back