Gapless playback of Jellyfin source via BubbleUPNP

Flesh

I configured one of my WiiM Pro renderers in BubbleUPNP to enable "Gapless control" for the device. When playing a track on repeat, it does not play gaplessly. I have a 10-second audio track that is pink noise so I can clearly hear gaps of approximately 2-3 seconds each time the track reaches its end, before restarting.

I have also attempted to create a playlist with the track repeated several times, just in case there is a problem with repeat mode only, but the playlist also has gaps between the tracks.

The track I am using in this case is a WAV file loaded from a Jellyfin server on the local network.

Is there something that does not work for gapless playback via DLNA when attempting to play files like these?

Tomorrow I'll send you the sox command to split a track into short chunks to create a gapless album. I'll also test with WAV as all my tracks are FLAC.
I'll convert my WAV to FLAC and try that also.

I think I have effectively everything I need to test a "gapless album" because I already have a handful of WAV files with no empty space at the beginning or end. I mean, I can just take my one file and rename it a handful of times and I've got a gapless album.

By the way, my actual WAV file is attached in case you want to test it!

Attachments

• pink-noise.wav
    866.2 KB
I think I have effectively everything I need to test a "gapless album" because I already have a handful of WAV files with no empty space at the beginning or end. I mean, I can just take my one file and rename it a handful of times and I've got a gapless album.
You're absolutely right, but I've tested the rest of the chain and it works for me.

Try adding some metadata to the WAV file and it'll work. It looks like a bug in BubbleUPnP because if I remove the metadata of a normal gapless album it stalls too, whereas in Hi-Fi Cast it's fine.
Happy to speak to the developer as I need to tell him to enable Eventing anyway, although it's quite a strange use case to be discussing. I assume you normally use metadata?

Code:
sox "infile.flac" "01.%3n.flac" trim 0 10 : newfile : restart
Once all the files have been created just increment the track number tags so they're in order for the player.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, but I've tested the rest of the chain and it works for me.

Try adding some metadata to the WAV file and it'll work. It looks like a bug in BubbleUPnP because if I remove the metadata of a normal gapless album it stalls too, whereas in Hi-Fi Cast it's fine.
Happy to speak to the developer as I need to tell him to enable Eventing anyway, although it's quite a strange use case to be discussing. I assume you normally use metadata?

Code:
sox "infile.flac" "01.%3n.flac" trim 0 10 : newfile : restart
Once all the files have been created just increment the track number tags so they're in order for the player.
Okay interesting... can you send me just one or two files that you know work on your side, with metadata in FLAC format, or any format you know works? I would like to eliminate some variables here. :)

Okay interesting... can you send me just one or two files that you know work on your side, with metadata in FLAC format, or any format you know works? I would like to eliminate some variables here. :)
If you add basic metadata to your WAV file and REPEAT PLAYLIST in BubbleUPnP it should work. If it doesn't work for you I'll add some metadata, make sure it's working and send it back.

I've been testing a little more and it looks like it's by design. I had an "album" of 10 second tracks that played without gaps, but when I split them into different albums (modified the album tag) gaps were introduced, even when loaded in the correct order, so it's inserting a break between albums.
I assume the lack of metadata is triggering the above logic.

Last edited:
If you add basic metadata to your WAV file and REPEAT PLAYLIST in BubbleUPnP it should work. If it doesn't work for you I'll add some metadata, make sure it's working and send it back.

I've been testing a little more and it looks like it's by design. I had an "album" of 10 second tracks that played without gaps, but when I split them into different albums (modified the album tag) gaps were introduced, even when loaded in the correct order, so it's inserting a break between albums.
That makes total sense

Aha, thank you! BubbleUPnP works with a FLAC file at least. I converted to FLAC, set Album metadata, and yeah, it will play gapless between copies of the same track endlessly - including repeating the entire playlist gapless as well (i.e., restarts from last track to first track with no gap). But it does not play one of the tracks on "repeat one" mode gapless.

Now to test the WiiM as DLNA renderer in a couple of other interfaces and see if the behavior remains true.

Thank you again for the help so far!

WiiM actually fixed this a couple months back. REPEAT_ONE I believe works now.
I didn't realise that.
Is UPnP Tool working for you? Trying to get PlayMode from GetTransportSettings (or set it with SetPlayMode) always fails for me.

By the way, if you're using BubbleUPnP then you might want to look into BubbleUPnP Server to give the WiiM OpenHome functionality.

I didn't realise that.
Is UPnP Tool working for you? Trying to get PlayMode from GetTransportSettings (or set it with SetPlayMode) always fails for me.

By the way, if you're using BubbleUPnP then you might want to look into BubbleUPnP Server to give the WiiM OpenHome functionality.
I actually can't get UPnPTool working right now, but had it working fine some months back. For some reason it's currently giving me "client" errors (error code -111) for all my WiiM devices. It's giving me other odd errors for other devices around my home, so I was assuming it was a UPnPTool issue. Is latest version working for you in general?

I am not generally using Bubble. I am using Home Assistant and trying to get WiiM's DLNA implementation "standard" enough that I can operate it fully from there.

I actually can't get UPnPTool working right now, but had it working fine some months back. For some reason it's currently giving me "client" errors (error code -111) for all my WiiM devices.
I reported it to the developer yesterday and got a response straight away!
I thought the problem originated with the release of V2, so they supplied me with an old build, which worked, and with a little bit of logging they think they've identified the issue.
I guess they'll test the fix over the coming days and release an update shortly. Very impressed!

I reported it to the developer yesterday and got a response straight away!
I thought the problem originated with the release of V2, so they supplied me with an old build, which worked, and with a little bit of logging they think they've identified the issue.
I guess they'll test the fix over the coming days and release an update shortly. Very impressed!
Ah, that's great news. I spent a lot of yesterday pulling my hair out because I'd been jacking around with my firewall the day before and thought I had somehow blocked certain UDP packets... what a relief to hear it's just a bug. :)

Back