Android -> Wiim Ultra -> Sonos: Options?

Theejott

I read many threads in different forums but it’s still not clear to me.

I use an Android phone with some Sonos speakers (Era 100, Roam 2) via WLAN or bluetooth.
I want to stream music to the Sonos speakers from
  • my android phone
  • Amazon music
  • my NAS
  • my turntable
I’m planning to buy the new Wiim Ultra und use it as the control centre.

My questions:
  • Does anyone have experience with a similar setup?
  • Will Airplay2 work with an android phone via Wiim Ultra?
  • Are there further (e.g. bluetooth) or even better options to stream from android to Sonos via the Wiim Ultra?
Many thanks in advance!

AirPlay from the Ultra to Sonos speakers won’t be an option. Off the top of my head, the best would be to cable the analog output of the Ultra to the Era 100, assuming you could then group the Era with the Roam in the Sonos app and get it to play what the Era is being fed.

AirPlay from the Ultra to Sonos speakers won’t be an option. Off the top of my head, the best would be to cable the analog output of the Ultra to the Era 100, assuming you could then group the Era with the Roam in the Sonos app and get it to play what the Era is being fed.
If you have the Ultra near a Sonos speaker and are not using another other non-Sonos speakers, you should be fine with just the Ultra.

I do something similar but include a separate Wiim Mini (could be a Pro or Pro Plus) grouped with my main Wiim Pro and have the Mini output analog to the Era 100. I do that because I do not have a Sonos speaker near my main Wiim and because the main Wiim also drives a separate DAC and speakers. The Era 100 analog input has a built-in time delay so you have to adjust the timing on the Wiim to account for that if you want non-Sonos speakers in sync with the Sonos speakers.

Why is Airplay not an option? Since the Ultra supports Airplay shouldn't this be technically feasible (even from android)...?
Cable to the analog output is difficult because the Ultra and the Sonos speakers will be to far apart from each other.
However, there will be no other non-Sonos speakers (so far).
Anyway, if Airplay won't work, would it be possible to stream via bluetooth from the Ultra to the Sonos?

Why is Airplay not an option? Since the Ultra supports Airplay shouldn't this be technically feasible (even from android)...?

The Ultra is an AirPlay receiver, not transmitter.

Cable to the analog output is difficult because the Ultra and the Sonos speakers will be to far apart from each other.
However, there will be no other non-Sonos speakers (so far).
Anyway, if Airplay won't work, would it be possible to stream via bluetooth from the Ultra to the Sonos?

Bluetooth to one destination Sonos might be an option if the Sonos app allows that audio to also be sent to another Sonos speaker.

Android doesn't support Airplay otherwise it would have been an option.

Ok, I must admit that I'm a little bit disappointed that no good option exists to stream my music via Wiim to my Sonos multiroom setup - at least from my android device.

Possible alternatives:
Would it then be better for me to go for a Sonos Port?
Or should I stream via my android smartphone using the Sonos app and use a Brennan VB1 to connect my turntable to Sonos speakers?

I have to think about....

It’s always hard to integrate disparate systems when there’s not a common protocol or technology they share :(

Ok, I must admit that I'm a little bit disappointed that no good option exists to stream my music via Wiim to my Sonos multiroom setup - at least from my android device.
You should (with an updating feature) be able to stream from WiiM to Sonos, with all the Sonos speakers in sync, but there's no way to get Sonos and WiiM in sync.

What's wrong with using the analog out of an Ultra to the analog input on your Era 100? Or my suggestion of an Ultra and Mini?

With the Port you need either a phono pre-amp or a turntable with a built in pre-amp. The Ultra has a phono input.

How do you plan to access your files on the NAS? DLNA?

You should (with an updating feature) be able to stream from WiiM to Sonos, with all the Sonos speakers in sync, but there's no way to get Sonos and WiiM in sync.
I have a Pro and a Mini in a group with the Mini connected to the analog input of a Sonos Era 100. My Sonos speakers are in sync with the DAC/speakers connected to the Pro. You just need to adjust the timing on the Wiim to account for the analog delay setting on the Era 100. When I do that, everything is in sync.

What's wrong with using the analog out of an Ultra to the analog input on your Era 100? Or my suggestion of an Ultra and Mini?

With the Port you need either a phono pre-amp or a turntable with a built in pre-amp. The Ultra has a phono input.

How do you plan to access your files on the NAS? DLNA?

My turntable has a in built pre-amp. So it should work with a phono input or with line in.
I have a Synology NAS but it would also be acceptable to tonnect an external hard drive with my music via USB.

My turntable has a in built pre-amp. So it should work with a phono input or with line in.
I have a Synology NAS but it would also be acceptable to tonnect an external hard drive with my music via USB.
To be honest, in terms of serving music from your NAS, you’d be much better off running Minimserver on it than connecting a drive over USB.

The 2 Wiim solution is not the most elegant but it does what you want to do. Their are issues with Sonos. In their new app they dropped a lot of features and many things do not work. They will probably fix them, but it does say something about how they treat their customers. Also, the Port locks you into Sonos whereas the Wiim gives you more options down the road.

Many thanks for all the helpful comments!

To summarize (if I understand it correctly), there are the following options worth considering to use all my Sonos speakers in sync from the sources listed in #1
  1. Turntable connected to Wiim Ultra/Pro/Pro Plus. Wiim Mini connected to one Era 100
    Open questions: I need the Sonos line-in adapter in addition, correct? Is it difficult to adjust the timing on the Wiim? Is it possible to use two of the Era 100 as a stereo pair with this setup?
  2. Turntable connected to Sonos Port and streaming to Sonos speakers. Of course, I am aware of the current issues with Sonos. That's one of the main reasons why I am looking for an independent alternative.
  3. Turntable connected to a Brennan VB1. Streaming via my android smartphone using the Sonos App (incl. Amazon Music). Waiting für some upcoming features or even new devices to include my music from hard drive or NAS etc.
To be honest, I use the NAS only for backup and I have no idea of serving music from my NAS so far. However, this is a feature I want to use in near future.

Back