Android -> Wiim Ultra -> Sonos: Options?

I currently have a Port with a cheap preamp for phono. I’m planning to replace the preamp with an Ultra.

Aside from sound quality, I hope to connect the TV and phono to the Ultra, and the Ultra to the Port line in.

Advantages: automatic switching for inputs, non-phone volume control for TV sound, DSP.

I may also try using the Port as an input to the ULTRA.

Yes, you need the Sonos line in adapter, but it is cheap. And a stereo headphone cable to connect it to the Wiim.

You only need to adjust the timing on the Wiim if you are using the output of both Wiims to drive speakers. Otherwise, the short delay from the Sonos input is irrelevant. And, yes, it is easy to change the Wiim timing if necessary. Sync Audio is one of the Device/Sound options. I set the Sonos delay to 2 seconds and then set the Wiim timing to -2 seconds and the Sonos and non-Sonos speakers were in sync.

I would assume you can set up a stereo pair of identical Sonos speakers even using the analog input, but I would check to be sure.

By the way, another option is to just get another Era speaker and put it near the turntable/Wiim Ultra, even if you keep the sound turned off. Then you could go directly from the Ultra to the Era and avoid the second Wiim. That simplifies the setup by removing the second Wiim. If you ever what to add non-Sonos speakers you could then add the second Wiim down the road. That might be the way to go, especially if you can get an Era 100 on sale.

That's a great idea :). I already have another Era in the next room that could be connected directly to the Ultra using an albeit long stereo headphone cable (at least easier than the stereo pair in the room with the Ultra). I will check out this setup when the Ultra is available in Germany (likely end of July).

I’m afraid that feature has had to be removed from all WiiM models
Do you know why? It wasn’t called out in the release notes. I just checked my app and the feature is indeed gone. This was a big selling point for me

Please use the feedback section in the WiiM Home app to contact WiiM directly to discuss this further. Thanks

Many thanks for all the helpful comments!

To summarize (if I understand it correctly), there are the following options worth considering to use all my Sonos speakers in sync from the sources listed in #1
  1. Turntable connected to Wiim Ultra/Pro/Pro Plus. Wiim Mini connected to one Era 100
    Open questions: I need the Sonos line-in adapter in addition, correct? Is it difficult to adjust the timing on the Wiim? Is it possible to use two of the Era 100 as a stereo pair with this setup?
  2. Turntable connected to Sonos Port and streaming to Sonos speakers. Of course, I am aware of the current issues with Sonos. That's one of the main reasons why I am looking for an independent alternative.
  3. Turntable connected to a Brennan VB1. Streaming via my android smartphone using the Sonos App (incl. Amazon Music). Waiting für some upcoming features or even new devices to include my music from hard drive or NAS etc.
To be honest, I use the NAS only for backup and I have no idea of serving music from my NAS so far. However, this is a feature I want to use in near future.
Option # 4 - ditch the Sonos Era 100s and replace them with a nice pair of Active Bookshelf speakers connected to a Wiim pro, where you can also connect your turntable through the phono input.

Option # 5 - also ditch the Sonos (keep the Roam, its good for outdoors and small spaces) and get yourself a WiiM Amp with a pair of of passive speakers, the options are endless out there. The Amp integrates DAC+analog inputs+excellent streamer and offers very good power and sound.

There can also be other options but try to consider those that don`t requiere extra dongles or that may limit your options for future upgrades.

Option # 4 - ditch the Sonos Era 100s and replace them with a nice pair of Active Bookshelf speakers connected to a Wiim pro, where you can also connect your turntable through the phono input.

Option # 5 - also ditch the Sonos (keep the Roam, its good for outdoors and small spaces) and get yourself a WiiM Amp with a pair of of passive speakers, the options are endless out there. The Amp integrates DAC+analog inputs+excellent streamer and offers very good power and sound.

There can also be other options but try to consider those that don`t requiere extra dongles or that may limit your options for future upgrades.
Indeed, that was my first intention (WiiM Amp + (active/passive) bookshelf speakers). However, the current conditions do not allow the reasonable connection of Turntable + Amp + bookshelf speakers (this would lead to far at this point).
Other parameters like colour and size of the speakers are also relevant...
With the Sonos I am flexible with regard to the place of installation and I have only one system in the multi-room setup.

However, I might reconsider buying a WiiM Amp instead of a Wiim Ultra to have more optoins in the future (e.g. passive speakers).

Wiim also has DLNA Cast on their roadmap, although with no date. I use DLNA to access my Sonos speakers from a PC. I play to 1 speaker and Sonos keeps them all in sync. Sonos's DLNA implementation is supposedly not 100% compatible with the spec but it works for me. So, once DLNA Cast is supported it may be a way to access your Sonos speakers wirelessly from a Pro or above streamer.

EDIT: Wiim announced yesterday in the release thread

DLNA Cast: This will enter Beta testing on June 22

Last edited:
Back