Are the analog in and phono stage really analog?

Fralle

I have a couple of questions regarding the Wiim Ultra and was hoping someone here might have the answers.

1. Are the phono input and analog in on the Wiim Ultra really analog or are they digitaly converted?
  2. How is the sound quality on these inputs?
I’m considering selling a lot of my expensive gear and go for something cheaper, and want to ensure that these inputs meet my expectations in terms of audio fidelity.

Thanks in advance for your help!

They’re digitally converted so things like volume control, eq etc can be applied.

Re how they sound, that’s very subjective but despite that I’m sure you’ll find opinions have been expressed here previously.

Wiim wrote this re the adc on the amp

And this about the ultra in comparison to the pro plus
"The ADC chip is better in the WiiM Ultra using TI PCM1863."

You can set the adc sample rate and bit depth.
It's also been suggested (shown / proved? haven't looked for the link yet) that setting 192 sample rate on the analog input is 'noisier' than 96. Bigger isn't always better.

But what any of that specifically means for you / your expectations I can't say!

I have a couple of questions regarding the Wiim Ultra and was hoping someone here might have the answers.

1. Are the phono input and analog in on the Wiim Ultra really analog or are they digitaly converted?
  2. How is the sound quality on these inputs?
I’m considering selling a lot of my expensive gear and go for something cheaper, and want to ensure that these inputs meet my expectations in terms of audio fidelity.

Thanks in advance for your help!
If you only want to go analog in and analog out, then the WiiM Ultra may not be the right one for you.
If you however go digitally all the way to the speakers (active speakers or amplifier with digital input) it is perfect.

Actually planing on using it with a Ncore power amp from Audiophinics.

So you will need to use the WiiM Ultra ADC (Line and Phono in) and the Ultra DAC (Line out). That will still sound very good but it will enter the digital domain, as described above.

I do this myself and my turntable had never sounded better :).
I use 24/96 phono stage sample.

Last edited:
Yes Iv'e got no problem going digital. Actually I do this already with my Technics SU-G700. Glad that it sounds good!

I do hope folks realize that virtually all music recorded in the past couple of decades, past the microphones, was done in the digital domain - because it’s vastly superior to analog in every respect.

I do hope folks realize that virtually all music recorded in the past couple of decades, past the microphones, was done in the digital domain - because it’s vastly superior to analog in every respect.
Most of my vinyls are from the 60 & 70 :cool:.
But yes for recording and mixing digital is absolutely the best.
And with devices such as the WiiM Ultra all can benefit from this.
My output from the Ultra is optical 24/96 directly to active speakers (Warfedale A2). Sounds amazing.

I have a very large record collection, several high quality turntables, 2 McIntosh vintage tube preamps with wonderful sounding phono sections. But I'm also using the Ultra's phono and have found it to sound extremely natural and warm. Not what one might consider a digital sound. I would think anybody with a decent vinyl set up would have no issues with the quality of the Ultra's phono.

I have a very large record collection, several high quality turntables, 2 McIntosh vintage tube preamps with wonderful sounding phono sections. But I'm also using the Ultra's phono and have found it to sound extremely natural and warm. Not what one might consider a digital sound. I would think anybody with a decent vinyl set up would have no issues with the quality of the Ultra's phono.
I was impressed with the phono stage as well very happy using it
In fact it influenced my choice of amplifier I am buying later this year going for the quad Artera Solus which has no phono stage 👍

Back