WiiM Ultra Phono Stage

Well, that does not seem to happen on my device. (But I don't know if it is completely set up the same as yours.)
thank you very much for trying it! There are no extra settings, phono type: MM, active input: Phono (and started, sometimes pauses) volume 100%. more and more suspicious that mine is faulty

thank you very much for trying it! There are no extra settings, phono type: MM, active input: Phono (and started, sometimes pauses) volume 100%. more and more suspicious that mine is faulty
I disconnected all cables except the power cable, selected the phono input, and hit Ultra. And there is no bizarre phenomenon. However, the volume is limited to about 70%.

Disconnecting the LAN cable puts the device into setup mode, and I don't want to spank my cute buddy any more.

I disconnected all cables except the power cable, selected the phono input, and hit Ultra. And there is no bizarre phenomenon. However, the volume is limited to about 70%.

Disconnecting the LAN cable puts the device into setup mode, and I don't want to spank my cute buddy any more.
Thank you very much for your help! It is also visible at 70% volume on my VU meter when I tap the device

I don’t need to be remonstrated with for having a conversation with an old forum friend, thanks…
I don’t need to be remonstrated with for having a conversation with an old forum friend, thanks…
obviously it's your and Wiimer's business and I don't even want to interfere, I replied to your wrong post, but it's true to your original post

obviously it's your and Wiimer's business and I don't even want to interfere, I replied to your wrong post, but it's true to your original post
Unfortunately here is not a private room just for you. 🤣

If you feel there is a problem with your device, please submit a support ticket through the feedback section of the WiiM app first.

it will definitely be a warranty defect report - based on your kind cooperation
- , but before that I would like some help from the community whether this is a bug or a feature :)

thanks again for your help!

I picked up a new Audio-Technica AT-LP70XBT (with bronze trim of course) and I found the phono preamp on the Ultra to be very noisy. As luck would have it, the Audio-Technica AT-LP70XBT has it's own built-in phono preamp and using that to the line in on the Ultra is nice and quite. Maybe it's the interesting ground lug? No idea, but I aborted using the Ultra phono input. Unfortunately for me, if I have to sacrifice the aux RCA input for the phonograph input, that reduces the Ultras usefulness as a preamp.

The phono stage is dead silent on my Ultra, at least when set to MM. What kind of noise are you observing?

Was curious to get opinions on the phono stage within the WiiM Ultra as there doesn’t seem to be too much discussion of this feature. I have been running it for a few weeks with my Fluance RT85 (Ortofon 2M blue) into the phono input of Ultra then to the analog line in of my Yamaha AS501. I have a pair of KLH Model 3’s for speakers.

I just listened to Rush - A Farewell to Kings and compared between the phono on my Yamaha to the Ultra and found the Ultra to have a better soundstage, more low end and imo well rounded sound. Was curious as to what others experiences have been? And how would the Ultra compare to $200-$300 dedicated phono stage (thinking Schiit Mani 2, iFi Zen etc)?
I have a similar setup. I have an RT85 with a Yamaha AS701. Prior to the Ultra I used an Ifi Zen because I didn't care for the S701 photo stage. With the Ultra I have tested the Ultra's phono input, as well as running my Zen into the analog line-in. In order of preference:

1) RT85 -> Zen -> S701 (sounds the cleanest to me, keeps everything in the analog realm if that's your thing)
2) RT85 -> Zen -> Ultra line in -> analog line out to S701.
3) RT85 -> Ultra phono input -> analog line out to the S701. (Not a fan, seems a bit flat compared to 1 and 2).

I am currently using #2 for convenience.

I have a similar setup. I have an RT85 with a Yamaha AS701. Prior to the Ultra I used an Ifi Zen because I didn't care for the S701 photo stage. With the Ultra I have tested the Ultra's phono input, as well as running my Zen into the analog line-in. In order of preference:

1) RT85 -> Zen -> S701 (sounds the cleanest to me, keeps everything in the analog realm if that's your thing)
2) RT85 -> Zen -> Ultra line in -> analog line out to S701.
3) RT85 -> Ultra phono input -> analog line out to the S701. (Not a fan, seems a bit flat compared to 1 and 2).

I am currently using #2 for convenience.
Looks the sampling rate and accuracy of WiiM’s phono stage are low, felt the sound switched from vinyl to CD.

The phono stage is dead silent on my Ultra, at least when set to MM. What kind of noise are you observing?
Makes a humming, scratchy sound, even at low volume. I was given a hybrid integrated tube amp to check out and it has a phono stage input, so I hooked up the Audio-Technica AT-LP70XBT to it, and it's dead silent, even at max volume so I don't know what's the dealo w/the Ultra? :unsure:

Back