Audio cannot output to Wiim Ultra through HDMI arc port

planykao

Configuration
TV
  • Sony Bravia 7
  • audio configure to PCM
  • enable HDMI CEC.
Wiim Home
  • Auto-Sensing of HDMI and Optical enabled.
Issues
  1. WiiM Ultra cannot turn on when TV is on.
  2. WiiM Ultra cannot turn off when TV is off.
  3. Even if WiiM Ultra is turned on by TV, WiiM Ultra cannot receive audio from TV. WiiM Ultra can display volume when adjusting volute via TV's remote control.
Those issues are not happened all the time. Any one has same issue?

Configuration
TV
  • Sony Bravia 7
  • audio configure to PCM
  • enable HDMI CEC.
Wiim Home
  • Auto-Sensing of HDMI and Optical enabled.
Issues
  1. WiiM Ultra cannot turn on when TV is on.
  2. WiiM Ultra cannot turn off when TV is off.
  3. Even if WiiM Ultra is turned on by TV, WiiM Ultra cannot receive audio from TV. WiiM Ultra can display volume when adjusting volute via TV's remote control.
Those issues are not happened all the time. Any one has same issue?
Have you enabled CEC in the audio input settings in the device settings of the WiiM home app?

I also try to swith audio input in WiiM home app when there is no sound, but it won't help. I have to keep reboot TV and WiiM Ultra to solve this problem.

Same issue for me. Similar sony tv, same year. I've tried everything but reboot. I'll try when I'm home for work this evening

HDMI CEC has always been a bit of a black art in my experience. Sometimes solid, sometimes flaky.

It's been around long enough, you'd have thought that all the kinks would have been ironed out by now.

My Sony X90L is similar to your B7, it turns the Ultra on and off, or standby mode I guess.

Sony audio output set to Auto 2 and I get LPCM from stereo sources and DTS, and AC3 from DD source.

Sometimes no audio, I have to touch Vol Up on the Sony remote to get it.

Ultra Audio settings = Fixed Volume Output, I think that is for all inputs.

Sony audio output:

Audio system prioritization = on
Sound mode sync = on
AV Sync = on
eARC mode = off
Digital audio out = Auto 2
DD+ output = DD+
Pass through mode = Auto

Sometimes no audio, I have to touch Vol Up on the Sony remote to get it.
The Sony mutes the Ultra rather than putting it into standby (a common issue with many devices). Have you set the Sony HDMI-CEC to power off devices when you switch off the Sony? That works with a Denon Home Amp.

The Sony mutes the Ultra rather than putting it into standby (a common issue with many devices). Have you set the Sony HDMI-CEC to power off devices when you switch off the Sony? That works with a Denon Home Amp.

as far as I know it's in standby mode when I turn off the TV, I will check settings. Still very new..

Since the Ultra does not support DD+, this could just as well be set to DD.

It seems to see everything, even DTS.. so far. I will try changing to DD with DD+ input. I think almost all streaming services are in DD+, so if I change to DD is this telling the Sony to process the audio as opposed to pass through to ultra?

Last edited:
It seems to see everything, even DTS.. so far. I will try changing to DD with DD+ input. I think almost all streaming services are in DD+, so if I change to DD is this telling the Sony to process the audio as opposed to pass through to ultra?
Apparently, devices that support DD, but not DD+, can ‘extract’ DD from DD+ so that is why it will work either way. I doubt it will make much difference.
An aside, the reason that support for DD is now more widespread (eg. some of the new Nodes as well as the Wiim Ultra) is that the patents have expired for DD, but not yet for DD+.

Interesting!

I tried a quick test tonight and couldn't hear a difference. I guess no reason to set the TV back to PCM going forward. works okay, but my center channel lacking compared to past 3.0 systems of course.

TV audio is about the same as Pro using Optical and basic SMSL DAC..

Works well with Tidal connect - the main reason for the box. DAC is ok, will upgrade that soon.

Back