Best connection wiim ultra - audiolab 7000A

Is it really a problem that needs to be solved if @walburg just found the best connection between the WiiM Ultra and the 7000A and for him it happens to be using the Ultra as a pre-amp and the 7000 in power amp mode? ;)
Absolutely no problem, I was just curious why the preamp of the 7000A would be worse? I feel more comfortable having the power on volume limiter of -20dB on the 7000A to save my speakers 🙏

And how about the Ultra's analog output vs digital?
I don't have an Ultra as yet, just a Pro+. The DAC in the 7000A is the same ESS chip as the Ultra so I doubt there's any perceptible difference. I switch periodically between the Pro+ DAC and 7000A DAC and I'm yet to hear any difference with my 62 year old ears 👂 🤔 😅

I don't have an Ultra as yet, just a Pro+. The DAC in the 7000A is the same ESS chip as the Ultra so I doubt there's any perceptible difference.
Once you have one, don't forget to check. ;)

And no, don't get me wrong, I'm not about to say "You will be surprised" or anything like that. I just think its possible that there is a difference and it might be more to a listener's preference or just not. I don't pretend to know. But if someone tells me he likes the Ultra as a pre-amp better than that of the 7000A, it's certainly not like he told me "after one week of burn-in". :)

Having said that, I understand everyone who wouldn't even care about small differences if this meant losing the additional "mechanical" safety measure of an analogue pre-amp. I for my self have been using the WiiM Ultra as a pre-amp into a pair of V3 Monos for many weeks now (and through a number of firmware updates) and I didn't have any issues.

Back