Beta Test: Room Correction for Android

How do you know that you would not enjoy the music even more if it were more accurately reproduced? And hi-fi is short for high fidelity, with all that that implies.
Yeah but that's the tree in the forest question. Plus I can partly answer it because I once spent a sh1t ton of cash on a system, and then plonked a drum kit in the same room. Guess what, not even close no matter what track. At that point I realised it was all futile. I sold my stupidly expensive system and started to just enjoy the music, I mean I seriously don't give a fk anymore about what hifi is supposed to be! I enjoy a wide bandwidth, highly dynamic low distortion reproduction if that helps? . Fwiw I can record my own tracks that sound great, and some that sound utterly crap too, so the studio is not necessarily some kind of aural utopia.

Perverted, not perverse.
Most people think of both “perverse” and “perverted” only in contexts having to do with desire, but “perverse” properly has the function of signifying “stubborn,” “wrong-headed

well pointed sir

Most people think of both “perverse” and “perverted” only in contexts having to do with desire, but “perverse” properly has the function of signifying “stubborn,” “wrong-headed

well pointed sir
I'm not sure about most people, but they are clearly differentiated in my mind and dictionary, ie I meant what I said. ;)

I have always assumed thus:
Perversion is a form of human behavior which deviates from what is considered to be orthodox or normal, marked by a disposition to oppose and contradict

perverted: showing or appealing to bizarre or deviant tastes, usually of sexual connotation.

I was being polite and didn't wish to presume. 🙂

Back on topic...

I notice this in the EQ settings, tried it and the EQ settings disappeared. Not sure how you use a separate L and R sweep because I don't have a option to do it. Screenshot_20240818_180925_WiiM Home.jpg

Not sure how you use a separate L and R sweep because I don't have a option to do it.
Right now you can only use it manually with external measurements. Automatic RC doesn't make use of this feature, yet.

For those of us using e.g. REW it's a very powerful tool, already.

L/R EQ is now active in the app update today allegedly*

*from the ASR thread, not tried it yet myself

Right now you can only use it manually with external measurements. Automatic RC doesn't make use of this feature, yet.

For those of us using e.g. REW it's a very powerful tool, already.
Given how the RC has been misunderstood and misapplied thus far I'm not hopeful this will be very helpful for most. As Floyd Toole was quoted somewhere here, separate measurement and EQ doesn't reflect either the way our ears hear or how L/R sound waves interact in a room. If used at all it has to be blended with measurements (preferably multiple) utilizing both speakers IRL. More sophisticated EQ tools do this but seems like WiiM is just adding stuff willy nilly.

Sorry, don't see why that's relevant to WiiM per channel RC which is what I thought was being discussed. No matter, reading that fills my daily quota of ASR posts ;) :D

Sorry, don't see why that's relevant to WiiM per channel RC which is what I thought was being discussed. No matter, reading that fills my daily quota of ASR posts ;) :D
Apologies:

This is the original PP Firmware update post:

What's New:
  1. Per-Channel EQ: Set parametric EQ settings for left and right channels individually (requires app version 2.10.7 or later).

It was confusing because that feature was also there in the previous firmware update, so assumptions that this feature was "improved" and available in RC. Anyway, after that flurry of excitement followed by disappointment I'm going to do what we brits do best in a mild crisis, and have a cup of tea.

sorry if this has been asked before but how is the EQ function on the Wiim Amp compensating for positive (boosted) frequencies?
In my experience of other EQ functions, if you boost any frequency, you must lower the pre-gain by the same amount in order to not clip / distort the output.
I am not hearing any volume decrease when I boost a frequency in the Wiim app, so is it just allowing clipping or is there some hidden headroom?

sorry if this has been asked before but how is the EQ function on the Wiim Amp compensating for positive (boosted) frequencies?
In my experience of other EQ functions, if you boost any frequency, you must lower the pre-gain by the same amount in order to not clip / distort the output.
I am not hearing any volume decrease when I boost a frequency in the Wiim app, so is it just allowing clipping or is there some hidden headroom?
Very good question and the reason I've also limited boosting frequencies. I can modify headroom in Roon when streaming using WiiM as an endpoint but that doesn't help with CD or vinyl playback through the WiiM.

Back