Beta Test: Samba (Feature now publicly available)

Here we go again. What is the compromise?
I'm not bashing LMS, I'm just saying that any one system that tries to bring everything together under one roof can't be better than the best of breed in each category. The benefit of LMS is that you don't need multiple apps to achieve the same thing.

Last comment I promise @Brantome,

What is alternative, free, oipen source, multi platform (NAS, pi, PC) and multi streamer alternative?
If they're your requirements then maybe it is the best, but I'm happy to pay for good software.

Everyone is different, just accept that.

Yeah, as Carlos would say, let’s chill and get back to the Samba par-ty 🤣🤣

I'm using DLNA on my NAS but it is not easy to set up for a novice in most cases (running custom f-alt firmware with an addon on an old d-link device), so having Samba access sounds like a nice new feature.

Well, the first issue I had was trying to recall what shares I had enabled on my NAS and elsewhere, and more importantly what usernames and passwords I had used 🤦‍♂️

Once I had overcome that self imposed hurdle, I could freely browse folders and play tracks. Album art doesn’t always seem to show but I’ll need to do a bit more digging as I’ve probably not been over diligent in the past whether I’ve embedded the artwork in each track or simply had a folder.jpg file in each folder.

However, a good first start from WiiM and a feature I expect some users will appreciate having. Personally, I still prefer Minimserver or LMS ;)

Well, managed to set up a few Samba shares - my Synology NAS, SSD on my Pi, and two shares on my Windows 11 PC which (after you notice the tiny add folder icon in the top right hand corner) now all appear under Home Music Share along with my UPnP servers.

The Now Playing page on Android shows it’s a Samba share, but that icon doesn’t appear on my iPad guess as it’s still on an older app version.

Other than just being able to browse the shares’ folders, it seems to be working well.

Screenshot_20240701-152609_Original.png Screenshot_20240701-152844_Original.png

Just a tip: use a login with read-only permissions or make a new dedicated login with restricted permissions for the WiiM only :)

Just to be sure nothing gets accidentally removed or edited.

* Installing now!

Just a tip: use a login with read-only permissions or make a new dedicated login with restricted permissions for the WiiM only :)

Just to be sure nothing gets accidentally removed or edited.

* Installing now!
Yeah, did that :)

Well, managed to set up a few Samba shares - my Synology NAS, SSD on my Pi, and two shares on my Windows 11 PC which (after you notice the tiny add folder icon in the top right hand corner) now all appear under Home Music Share along with my UPnP servers.

The Now Playing page on Android shows it’s a Samba share, but that icon doesn’t appear on my iPad guess as it’s still on an older app version.

Other than just being able to browse the shares’ folders, it seems to be working well.

View attachment 8618 View attachment 8620
What's "Sneaky music"? ;)

What's "Sneaky music"? ;)
My original streamer was a Linn SneakyDS, so when I ripped lossless FLAC files from CDs I put them in that folder structure rather than the default My Music which had earlier ripped MP3s from way back when I used iTunes etc. Makes sense to me ;)

My original streamer was a Linn SneakyDS, so when I ripped lossless FLAC files from CDs I put them in that folder structure rather than the default My Music which had earlier ripped MP3s from way back when I used iTunes etc. Makes sense to me ;)
Nice! I'm still using Apple Music to manage my main collection actually. I have to convert everything to ALAC, but works great for editing tags and centralising my music.

Seems like we're off to a very good start.

Setting it up was a breeze and being able to use my NAS' hostname made things a little easier as I haven't yet taken the time to assign a fixed IP address on my new network.

Artwork is showing up nice & crisp. Nice to see that gapless playback is working nicely as well.

I noticed sometimes when using the search function, the keyboard disappears with every letter I type (Android 15 beta on Pixel 6).

One suggestion would be that when music files are present in a certain folder, to show the ID 3 tags instead of raw filenames. Oh and when can we get a media player notification/widget? As with the SMB support, I see myself using the WiiM Home app a bit more often now ;)

Last edited:
Does it handle playlists on the share?
Hi, WiiM first responded that I should try BubbleUPnP (!) then in a second reply “We don't currently support M3U or .M3U8 playlists. We're working on how to support them and should be able to in the future.”

Hi Admin,

I have join the beta program.
I have tested dlna and my router doesn't render flac / hi res files

Setup I hope to test :
- plug in USB drive to wifi router (cheapest gadget and readily available but low speed) and shared as samba
- testing hi res file to see if there's any drop out / buffering issues
- my current USB is 32gb (fat32)

Thanks in advanced

Back