Beta Test: USB Output (Feature now publicly available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just submitted a USB Out request for my Ultra. Any idea how long I’ll have to wait to get an update?!

I have to say, I've stopped using usb out.
Why?
Well, my very first-world problem is that I have to use the wiim app to re-choose the usb output every time I start it up.
I just want to press play, and have it work!

Why?
Well, my very first-world problem is that I have to use the wiim app to re-choose the usb output every time I start it up.
How did it sound to you compared to other outputs though?

Why?
Wiim amp does the same thing. Annoying indeed!

Wiim amp does the same thing. Annoying indeed!
Hi Smartplug, Mr Ee

Could you please send us a feedback ticket so we can check this out? By design, the output (USB Out) shouldn't be changed, and it seems to be a bug. Thank you for your assistance.

Hi Smartplug, Mr Ee

Could you please send us a feedback ticket so we can check this out? By design, the output (USB Out) shouldn't be changed, and it seems to be a bug. Thank you for your assistance.
Can do, but very, very easy to reproduce.
Turn on usb dac.
Switch ultra to usb out in app.
Turn off usb dac.
Ultra switches to line out.
Turn on usb dac. To get sound, have to use app to choose usb out again.

This may not be quite what you were thinking / expecting?
I haven't actually tried letting the ultra go into standby after 5 mins or so with the dac left on to see if the ultra awakens with usb out still active.
But, like many products, the rme dac turns off if nothing is playing after a while, so that's what I meant by "every time I start it up", i.e. every time I come back to listen to music.

Last edited:
How did it sound to you compared to other outputs though?
For me, just as good as coax. Mine's going into an rme adi 2, then into my Marantz pm6006 or headphones (see sig)
I've not yet tried it into my hegel or via the rme into hegel then founders.
One reason for not trying it straight into the hegel yet is that the hegel maxes out at 96khz on usb, and the ultra doesn't (yet) allow a max or fixed sample rate to be specified.

For some others here, they prefered usb into their dacs.

Can do, but very, very easy to reproduce.
Turn on usb dac.
Switch ultra to usb out in app.
Turn off usb dac.
Ultra switches to line out.
Turn on usb dac. To get sound, have to use app to choose usb out again.
There is an output choice persistence problem as you describe that happens when cables are disconnected. But turn it off? There’s no on/off switch. These devices should be plugged to power 24/7.

For me, just as good as coax. Mine's going into an rme adi 2, then into my Marantz pm6006 or headphones (see sig)
I've not yet tried it into my hegel or via the rme into hegel then founders.
One reason for not trying it straight into the hegel yet is that the hegel maxes out at 96khz on usb, and the ultra doesn't (yet) allow a max or fixed sample rate to be specified.

For some others here, they prefered usb into their dacs.
As a streamer… the usb port out is what gives Ultra its value. One needs to have a top dac with a filtered/managed usb input. And yes the SQ difference between usb and coax or toslink in the Ultra is like night snd day.

As a streamer… the usb port out is what gives Ultra its value. One needs to have a top dac with a filtered/managed usb input. And yes the SQ difference between usb and coax or toslink in the Ultra is like night snd day.
I have the amp connected to external dac using usb and also pro on same dac but on coax. I do hear a slight difference and possible just placebo effect but not night and day difference as you describe. I’m big fan of usb as can support all bandwidth.

Why are you guys shutting off your devices? Sonically it would be better to leave them on 24/7.
I’m not like that leaving them on when not in use. There’s reason why there’s a standby. It has nothing to do that consume little power in fact my panel produce more power than what I consume. Think green!

I’m not like that leaving them on when not in use. There’s reason why there’s a standby. It has nothing to do that consume little power in fact my panel produce more power than what I consume. Think green!

A DAC uses what? 40W? A R/2R ladder design must be on 24/7. You may not hear the difference. Others do hear it.

I have the amp connected to external dac using usb and also pro on same dac but on coax. I do hear a slight difference and possible just placebo effect but not night and day difference as you describe. I’m big fan of usb as can support all bandwidth.
Nothing to do with port bandwidth…

USB can support 32/768khz whereas coax/ toslink limited to 24/192khz.
90% plus of recorded music is Redbook. USB is not of interest to me for high res recordings, but for other more fundamental reasons. And as we can see, not all appreciate the difference. And that’s ok. Interesting to note that in these fora I read about fixed res playback. To each his own I guess, but that says it all.

Night and day in what ways? Thanks! I’m excited to try it for myself on my Pontus II DAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back