Bluetooth LDAC codec support

Yoku-San

I know this has been requested already multiple times for the other WiiM devices.

Please @WiiM Team can you elucidate why LDAC has not yet been implemented in any WiiM Device and if LDAC integration is planned for the future or not!

Probably because the WiiM family of devices already support a plethora of streaming protocols over (superior) wi-fi, we're not getting the best-of-the-best when it comes to bluetooth.

I could be wrong, but I believe LDAC is still a Sony technology. Yes, they've outsourced it to Google so every Android phone can support it, but to for audio manufacturers there's probably some sort of fee or license to implement it in their hardware.

Yup, as Wikipedia confirms:
The encoder of LDAC is open-source under Apache License 2.0, so that any device can be coded to transmit LDAC streams without patent or licensing issues. The decoder design remains proprietary.

Last edited:
Probably because the WiiM family of devices already support a plethora of streaming protocols over (superior) wi-fi, we're not getting the best-of-the-best when it comes to bluetooth.

I could be wrong, but I believe LDAC is still a Sony technology. Yes, they've outsourced it to Google so every Android phone can support it, but to for audio manufacturers there's probably some sort of fee or license to implement it in their hardware.

Yup, as Wikipedia confirms:
For me the quote sounds like WiiM could encode LDAC without having to pay anything. The headphone manufacturer using the decoder might have to pay something. But not the encoding device. So please, @WiiM Team integrate LDAC!

Back