can't help but be slightly disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not a Bandcamp-user, i just found that screen image as an example-photo in Apple AppStore. But to dig into it I installed the app and created an account. The app seems to not find my WiiM Pro. Not sure if the problem is with Bandcamp or WiiM 🫤

Thanks a lot for trying, kind stranger! It seems to be a common problem with Bandcamp, even with android devices, from what I‘ve read now.

Last edited:
I have brought back the Yamaha WXC-50 in my Hifi setup alongside the Ultra....with a little RCA source switcher to do A/B testing.
I have always been very sceptical about the whole DAC conversations and all the hyperboles about how one blows another one out of the water, when effectively, I had done a couple of A/B test in the past between dongle dacs and decent separates (nothing high end. Musical fidelity price point Dacs) and could notice difference but always felt that if the difference beween a dongle DAC and a separate is this small, how marginal could it be when going from 200 to a 1000euros

The Yamaha has 2 modes: streamer and pre-amp and each uses a different dac. In Streamer mode it's an ESS9006 dac, for preamp a slighter PCM version. Anyway, it turns out that my initial impression was correct, the Ultra sounds airier and wider in a quite noticeable way and the reason I thought it was a more pleasant listen. Obviously, the difference is exacerbated by ABing both streamers and one would be hard pressed to complain about the Yamaha's performance but the difference is there and It makes it hard to go back to the WXC-50

At least from this experience even if I regretfully won't keep it ( Wiim, make a version with an oled screen where the display merges seamlessly with the rest of the black front panel and Airplay) i now know that SQ wise, it is a worthy purchase and Wiim knows what it's doing sound wise.

They are Apple fanatics with iPhone and Apple music service.
Some people have simply used an iPhone or Mac since their childhood or they are required to use Apple for work. With the lack of Airplay, they are missing out on all the functionality that Chromecast brings to us Android users. It's not just for Apple Music.

Do some research before calling people fanatics or fanboys just because of the type of phone they happen to use!

Just checked now on my iPhone, both YouTube, Bandcamp and SoundCloud apps can stream with Chromecast. So no need for AirPlay to use those services. As a bonus you can get quality up to hires and dont have to use the lossy 256kbps AAC from AirPlay2 👍🏻

What service do you use for podcasts?
Weird, my iPad is not showing any of my Google Home speakers when using Bandcamp or SoundCloud. YouTube shows only my Google Nest Hub and Android TV because they support video playback.

I read smartplug's reply as being facetious / rather tongue in cheek.
But maybe I just like to see the best / least offensive interpretation in everything... ;)

It's getting kind of annoying reading so many people nagging about the absence of Airplay in the Ultra, specially after buying the unit! Do´nt people have at least the slightest caution to read the specs of a product they are buying?

Its not so hard, if you can´t live without the lossy Airplay, just get the Pro, Pro + or Mini instead of the Ultra..

It's getting kind of annoying reading so many people nagging about the absence of Airplay in the Ultra, specially after buying the unit! Do´nt people have at least the slightest caution to read the specs of a product they are buying?

Its not so hard, if you can´t live without the lossy Airplay, just get the Pro, Pro + or Mini instead of the Ultra..
I definitely agree with your sentiment.

I definitely agree with your sentiment.
I second that.
The nitpicking baffles me when this is obviously a frikkin' awesome product that crams in a ton of amazing features and audio quality for a crazy low price. The WiiM folks do a staggeringly good job at delivering features and bug fixes and it must cause them to roll their eyes in despair sometimes at some of the comments.
Anyway, rant over, feel free to ignore me. I was a product manager at a large software company for a long time so have felt their feature trade-off pain many times.

I second that.
The nitpicking baffles me when this is obviously a frikkin' awesome product that crams in a ton of amazing features and audio quality for a crazy low price. The WiiM folks do a staggeringly good job at delivering features and bug fixes and it must cause them to roll their eyes in despair sometimes at some of the comments.
Anyway, rant over, feel free to ignore me. I was a product manager at a large software company for a long time so have felt their feature trade-off pain many times.
The title of this tread is disappointing and does nothing but negativity. It should be closed like the others. Anything related with airplay complaints should be closed immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back