CD playback over USB

pieterv1

As the title says: it would be nice to add support for CD playback from a simple generic USB CD drive. Additionally a way to rip the audio to any attached storage device would be a cool bonus. Retrieval/displaying of the artwork and metadata of the web even more so.

1000036466.jpg

Last edited:
As the title says: it would be nice to add support for CD playback from a simple generic USB CD drive. Additionally a way to rip the audio to any attached storage device would be a cool bonus. Retrieval/displaying of the artwork and metadata of the web even more so.

View attachment 13184
This is why people use music servers. You have much more control over the ripping process and tagging using a PC.

You have much more control over the ripping process and tagging using a PC.
Yes I totally agree :) just thought of it while writing. But there's also people here who store their library on external HDDs directly connected to the Ultra.

Just direct playback from a USB CD drive seemed like a cool and feasible idea. The hardware is there and should be capable enough. USB seems to be the preferred way to connect external DACs because the digital audio transfer is asynchronous. Playing a CD through USB vs optical possibly has the same benefits of reduced jitter and it's simply a nice and compact solution.

Yes I totally agree :) just thought of it while writing. But there's also people here who store their library on external HDDs directly connected to the Ultra.

Just direct playback from a USB CD drive seemed like a cool and feasible idea. The hardware is there and should be capable enough. USB seems to be the preferred way to connect external DACs because the digital audio transfer is asynchronous. Playing a CD through USB vs optical possibly has the same benefits of reduced jitter and it's simply a nice and compact solution.
In terms of usb audio input support, WiiM said they didn’t support it when asked. They didn’t say it was on their roadmap or that they might consider it in the future which might suggest it doesn’t have the hardware to support it and that it’s not just a case of having the right Linux drivers in the firmware, so perhaps USB CD connection can’t get off the starting block with current hardware.

Yup there is a plugin for LMS to allow CD playback but I've never tried it. @castalla uses it I believe.

In terms of usb audio input support, WiiM said they didn’t support it when asked. They didn’t say it was on their roadmap or that they might consider it in the future which might suggest it doesn’t have the hardware to support it and that it’s not just a case of having the right Linux drivers in the firmware, so perhaps USB CD connection can’t get off the starting block with current hardware.
Ah yes I think you're referring to usb audio input from a tablet or computer? Maybe my analogy with USB DACs doesn't really hold up as in case of a USB CD reader, we're probably talking about data transfer rather than usb audio input - or something in-between.

Back