Chromecast sound issues

jags456

Just checking I have everything set up correctly? I have mostly 24 bit 44Khz WAVs stored on Blackplayer (an android media player/library organiser). I'm trying to stream these via Chromecast to the Wiim Ultra from a Samsung S23 Ultra. The Wiim Ultra is connected to an Onkyo stereo amplifier via the line in. Some files won't play properly and sound distorted whilst others sound absolutely fine. I've tested the same tunes through a Chromecast audio connected the same way and they all play fine? Am I missing something in the settings or does anyone out there have any suggestions?
Thanks

Just checking I have everything set up correctly? I have mostly 24 bit 44Khz WAVs stored on Blackplayer (an android media player/library organiser). I'm trying to stream these via Chromecast to the Wiim Ultra from a Samsung S23 Ultra. The Wiim Ultra is connected to an Onkyo stereo amplifier via the line in. Some files won't play properly and sound distorted whilst others sound absolutely fine. I've tested the same tunes through a Chromecast audio connected the same way and they all play fine? Am I missing something in the settings or does anyone out there have any suggestions?
Thanks
Chromecast on ultra not working as advertised as it uses different version. Other wiim product works fine.

Anyone know if this will be addressed in a future patch? I don't really want to have to return this for the pro plus just yet, as I really like the UI offered by the screen.

We've been waiting for some time now. Still no fix for the chromecast issues. Luckily I have a Pro too, otherwise I would have send back the ultra. Raise a ticket through the app that you want the issue to be fixed...

This likely has nothing to do with blackplayer or chromecast. It's more about how 24-bit audio is being handled through the audio pipeline.

Some files won't play properly and sound distorted whilst others sound absolutely fine.
As you said, the issue is limited to certain files. If you carefully examine the encoding information about the files that work vs the files that don't work, you will likely see some difference.

To spare you the technical details, in computer systems only 8 * power of 2 makes sense for data structures. So you commonly see 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, ..., but not so much other numbers. In a lot of cases, 24-bit audio is formatted as into 32-bit with 8-bit of padding added to the front of the back. This can cause some issue when a part of the audio pipeline doesn't know how to proceed the data properly.

In your case, some of your audio files likely did not contain this information, so the decoder in chromecast made the wrong assumption and cause the distortion. This is quite common with 24-bit WAV

I recommend transcoding these WAV files into 32-bit WAV or FLAC. Doing so will not cause any loss in audio quality. But with 32-bit you should not observe these issues anymore.

Yes I can, however upnp isn't supported by blackplayer so I lose the artwork and it's a bit of a clunky experience.

This likely has nothing to do with blackplayer or chromecast. It's more about how 24-bit audio is being handled through the audio pipeline.

As you said, the issue is limited to certain files. If you carefully examine the encoding information about the files that work vs the files that don't work, you will likely see some difference.

To spare you the technical details, in computer systems only 8 * power of 2 makes sense for data structures. So you commonly see 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, ..., but not so much other numbers. In a lot of cases, 24-bit audio is formatted as into 32-bit with 8-bit of padding added to the front of the back. This can cause some issue when a part of the audio pipeline doesn't know how to proceed the data properly.

In your case, some of your audio files likely did not contain this information, so the decoder in chromecast made the wrong assumption and cause the distortion. This is quite common with 24-bit WAV

I recommend transcoding these WAV files into 32-bit WAV or FLAC. Doing so will not cause any loss in audio quality. But with 32-bit you should not observe these issues anymore.
I'll give this a go, thanks. Sorry I'm not the most technical of persons, is there anything to transcode the files with on Android? Thank you.

I've attached a couple of the file details to see if I'm missing something. The first picture file plays absolutely fine. The second is a distorted mess.Screenshot_20241014_191027.jpgScreenshot_20241014_191049.jpg

If you haven’t already, it would be useful to submit a ticket to WiiM with a link to those files in a zip file on Dropbox or similar (even WeTransfer) so they can help identify the issue.

I'm just trying to provide an idea of what is and isn't working for me? I'm clearly no expert on the subject.
I appreciate that and my comment was merely to say where the two files differed from the evidence on the screenshots. Why there’s an issue with the 24bit file needs much more analysis and why I suggested you raise a ticket and send the files to WiiM.

The easiest way is probably to go to WeTransfer.com ignoring any offer to sign up. Then choose the three dot menu on screen to bring up the settings menu and choose create link. Then use the add files icon to add the two files whose details you posted. When you have done that, click get a link and copy it to your clipboard when it’s generated.

Then go to the WiiM home app, and under settings choose feedback and enter details of your issue, and past the transfer link explaining it links to your two files. Then submit the ticket.

Hopefully that will give WiiM sufficient info to identify the root cause of your issue.

I appreciate that and my comment was merely to say where the two files differed from the evidence on the screenshots. Why there’s an issue with the 24bit file needs much more analysis and why I suggested you raise a ticket and send the files to WiiM.

The easiest way is probably to go to WeTransfer.com ignoring any offer to sign up. Then choose the three dot menu on screen to bring up the settings menu and choose create link. Then use the add files icon to add the two files whose details you posted. When you have done that, click get a link and copy it to your clipboard when it’s generated.

Then go to the WiiM home app, and under settings choose feedback and enter details of your issue, and past the transfer link explaining it links to your two files. Then submit the ticket.

Hopefully that will give WiiM sufficient info to identify the root cause of your issue.
Thanks for the advice. I've previously sent a smaller file via email that hopefully demonstrates the issue and have raised a ticket with Wiim support. 🤞🏻

Works fine, but missing any album work which is a shame. I'd previously purchased this app years ago and had forgotten about it.
How is your album art stored? I’m sure @simbun will keep me right on this, but if it’s stored in a file named folder.jpg in the same folder as the album music files, then it should be picked up and displayed.

Back