Dayton IMM-6 microphone setup and measurement

Wiimer

Major Contributor
This is a reminder of the setup and measurement procedure of the Dayton Audio iMM-6 microphone used for WiiM Room Correction(RC). If RC supports IMM-6, this might be useful to someone. Please allow me to post in the request thread with the expectation of IMM-6 support.

The IMM-6 series is available in three versions.
  • IMM-6 (3.5mm TRRS out + 3.5mm out)
  • IMM-6C (USB-C out + 3.5mm out)
  • IMM-6S (3.5mm TRRS out)
The IMM-6 is used here.

These microphones can be plugged into your smartphone's headphone or USB port and ready to use. You can download the calibration file prepared for each microphone and calibrate it with the dedicated app. Calibration allows for more accurate measurements.

On my Android phone, I use the Audio Tool app to set up the IMM-6. The Audio Tool app is a measurement tool that supports IMM-6 calibration.

Audio Tool Manual

Audio Tool (Play store)
1000000180.jpg

Install the app on your phone and connect the IMM-6 to your phone. (My phone is an LG V60 ThinQ with a 3.5mm jack. )

The serial number is located on the back of the IMM-6 package.
1000000179.jpg

Enter your serial number at this URL to download the calibration file to your phone.

Downloading the Calibration File

Here select the microphone model, enter the serial number(Hyphen is also entered) and press the search button, and a download link for the calibration file will appear below it. Tap the link to download it to your phone.
1000000181.jpg

Here's a rough description of the AudioTool app.

First, in order to measure the sweep with this app, change the tool to "Peak store".
IMG_20240331_143036.jpg

Then, import the microphone calibration file into the app.

Press the green "Menu" button and select "Use 1/3 Octave Calibration" listed second from the top. If it says "Import call fire", just tap it.
IMG_20240331_144001.jpg

Tap a proofing file from the list of files on your device to import it into the app.
IMG_20240331_144237.jpg

This completes the basic setup.

• Press the "Running" button to stop the measurement.
  • Press "Store" to save the current value.
  • Press "Load", you can display the previously saved values on the graph and compare them with the current values.
  • Press "Paused" to clear the value and start measuring.

To be continue...

Last edited:
The amount of PEQ can also be changed, for example to 2x20. It would be very detailed equalization. Wiim will have no competition. To my dream :)
You picked the right wording indeed: Dream on.

There are far more advanced room correction systems on the market. But they are also far more expensive while WiiM gave us their RC for free (and keep improving it). If you are prepared to spend some money, there's is enough competition out there.

I think many people have good calibration microphones, such as UMIK or others. Why can't they use them to calibrate RC in Wiim?
Because this is not the most relevant limitation with WiiM's current RC and the technical reasons have been explained to you. You can stomp your feet and repeat over and over that you want to try frequency settings even if they don't make sense, of course. Just be prepared that WiiM might not change their development priority.

There's been at least one (maybe more) feature request to add support for microphone calibration file:

As you can see, the overall vote is currently at zero (probably equal number of upvotes and downvotes). Right in this thread a couple of users have posted the calibration files for their mics and you could do the same, once you got it.

Admittedly, I am a bit disappointed about the required amount of low level correction for some of those iMM-6C microphones. But this thread is explicitly about the iMM-6 and according to all calibration files we have seen so far this was sufficiently accurate for room correction.

The addition of cal file support would do no harm and had no negative side effects. I'd like to see it coming when it's done. But it's not that essential.

So I keep dreaming. I don't intend to spend money on competitive products, I just strive to improve Wiim. I know it is possible, because it's just a matter of software. Whether the manufacturer will do it over time is their decision. Maybe they will do it someday, maybe they won't. We can only report our needs, and I do that. But every software improvement increases the attractiveness of Wiim products to a larger group of potential customers without the manufacturer having to invest in a new product, and we get it for free - as you rightly wrote. I really like Wiim's policy of continuous software development. We have a chance that we bought equipment for a long time, which will continue to be updated and improved. That's why the dream may turn into reality someday. I would like to see calibration files in Wiim, because there will be more possibilities, experimentation and good fun. Now I'm waiting for my new microphone. We'll see and think positively :)

Back