Dayton IMM-6 microphone setup and measurement

Wiimer

Major Contributor
This is a reminder of the setup and measurement procedure of the Dayton Audio iMM-6 microphone used for WiiM Room Correction(RC). If RC supports IMM-6, this might be useful to someone. Please allow me to post in the request thread with the expectation of IMM-6 support.

The IMM-6 series is available in three versions.
  • IMM-6 (3.5mm TRRS out + 3.5mm out)
  • IMM-6C (USB-C out + 3.5mm out)
  • IMM-6S (3.5mm TRRS out)
The IMM-6 is used here.

These microphones can be plugged into your smartphone's headphone or USB port and ready to use. You can download the calibration file prepared for each microphone and calibrate it with the dedicated app. Calibration allows for more accurate measurements.

On my Android phone, I use the Audio Tool app to set up the IMM-6. The Audio Tool app is a measurement tool that supports IMM-6 calibration.

Audio Tool Manual

Audio Tool (Play store)
1000000180.jpg

Install the app on your phone and connect the IMM-6 to your phone. (My phone is an LG V60 ThinQ with a 3.5mm jack. )

The serial number is located on the back of the IMM-6 package.
1000000179.jpg

Enter your serial number at this URL to download the calibration file to your phone.

Downloading the Calibration File

Here select the microphone model, enter the serial number(Hyphen is also entered) and press the search button, and a download link for the calibration file will appear below it. Tap the link to download it to your phone.
1000000181.jpg

Here's a rough description of the AudioTool app.

First, in order to measure the sweep with this app, change the tool to "Peak store".
IMG_20240331_143036.jpg

Then, import the microphone calibration file into the app.

Press the green "Menu" button and select "Use 1/3 Octave Calibration" listed second from the top. If it says "Import call fire", just tap it.
IMG_20240331_144001.jpg

Tap a proofing file from the list of files on your device to import it into the app.
IMG_20240331_144237.jpg

This completes the basic setup.

• Press the "Running" button to stop the measurement.
  • Press "Store" to save the current value.
  • Press "Load", you can display the previously saved values on the graph and compare them with the current values.
  • Press "Paused" to clear the value and start measuring.

To be continue...

Last edited:
neglected to mention you need to change the calibration txt file type to cal to make it work in the app
I don't think so.

"6) Locate the iMM-6 cal file you downloaded in step 3, and click on it. This will import a copy of the cal file into the AudioTool directory (there is no need to rename the file to .cal, or make any other changes). "

Hi,
I bought the Dayton Imm-6 years ago. I have acquired recently both the Wimm Pro Plus and Win Amp. They both have now Room Correctuin.in Wiim Home.
Can now this microphone be used with Wiim Home latest RC?

I'll be using an adaptateur and Samsung S22 Ultra. Otherwise, I'll study REW that I haven't used since 2018.

Thanks for clarifying

Hi,
I bought the Dayton Imm-6 years ago. I have acquired recently both the Wimm Pro Plus and Win Amp. They both have now Room Correctuin.in Wiim Home.
Can now this microphone be used with Wiim Home latest RC?

I'll be using an adaptateur and Samsung S22 Ultra. Otherwise, I'll study REW that I haven't used since 2018.

Thanks for clarifying
Hi,

Yes, both my IMM-6 and IMM-6C were recognized and usable by the WiiM RC.

Is there any noticable and/or measurable difference using the external mic as compared to the internal one (iOS / Android) ?

Edit: Just found your thread here

Still wondering if the invest will give better results :)

Last edited:
I ordered a Dayton IMM-6C microphone with an additional cable. It's probably the most economical calibration microphone at the moment and it fits into the phone's USB-C connector. I really hope that you'll be able to upload the calibration file to the RC Wiim.

I submitted a ticket in the Wiim Home app asking for external microphone calibration files to be added to the RC. I got a vague response from Wiim: "We really appreciate your suggestion and have added your request to our feature list. If there is a possibility of implementing this feature in the future, we will definitely consider it." There should be many more such tickets. Such a feature would greatly increase the value and functionality of our devices. Let's do it :)
I'll get in touch as soon as my Dayton arrives :)

I submitted a ticket in the Wiim Home app asking for external microphone calibration files to be added to the RC. I got a vague response from Wiim: "We really appreciate your suggestion and have added your request to our feature list. If there is a possibility of implementing this feature in the future, we will definitely consider it." There should be many more such tickets. Such a feature would greatly increase the value and functionality of our devices. Let's do it :)
I'll get in touch as soon as my Dayton arrives :)
There’s an opinion that a calibration file would add little to the recommended room correction range of 40hz-4khz

Post in thread 'Microphone calibration files'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/microphone-calibration-files.4734/post-77706

There’s an opinion that a calibration file would add little to the recommended room correction range of 40hz-4khz

Post in thread 'Microphone calibration files'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/microphone-calibration-files.4734/post-77706
There were many more comments in that thread, you only wrote about one. The conclusions were that it is worth adding a calibration file, because microphones are not the same and differ in lower and higher ranges.

These limitations default RC settings can come with low quality microphones on phones. It should always be better than worse, if possible. Great solution for experimenting with better microphones and the ability to change and expand control settings. The amount of PEQ can also be changed, for example to 2x20. It would be very detailed equalization. Wiim will have no competition. To my dream :)

Last edited:
There were many more comments in that thread, you only wrote about one. The conclusions were that it is worth adding a calibration file, because microphones are not the same and differ in lower and higher ranges.

These limitations can come with low quality microphones on phones. It should always be better than worse, if possible. Great solution for experimenting with better microphones and the ability to change and expand control settings. The amount of PEQ can also be changed, for example to 2x20. It would be very detailed equalization. Wiim will have no competition. To my dream :)
Hmm I don't think you understand what calibration files do. They're not going to change the effective range of a cheap mic not designed as a measurement tool.

Why don't you read the previous posts? I just ordered a calibration microphone, designed as a measuring device, with a calibration file. I think many people have good calibration microphones, such as UMIK or others. Why can't they use them to calibrate RC in Wiim? Would WiIm become too serious a device? Does it bother you a lot? You don't have to use it, no one is forcing you to. And I'd be happy to try such possibilities.

So you pulled one sentence out of a much broader context to support your thesis. That's not a good approach and could mislead others.

And I want to measure in a wider range than the default in RC. RC allows for this, because you can move the sliders however you want. If it wasn't useful, the settings would be permanent. That's why a good microphone with a calibration file will be useful.

Back