Difference between WiFi and Ethernet

Spatch

I had the Wimm for over a week now
Yesterday I finally connected the Wiim via an Ethernet cable.
More clarity
Blind tested my partner as she also agrees more clarity. To be honest was not expecting any difference, but glad I did.

Regardless of any difference, which I doubt would be significant unless the wifi chip is generating noise which is reaching the audio signal, my advice is always to use a wired network connection where possible.

Wifi is convenient and required for mobile devices, but is inferior to a wired connection in terms of stability and speed.

For anyone thinking of clicking the link to enter the rabbit hole, here is everything you need to know from my quick visit.
1718484272588.png
"The clarity and calmness of the representation, as well as the plasticity and naturalness of voices and instruments is on such a high level that I doubt that I have ever heard this in my setup before. "

This probably merits a non sarcastic reply.

Digital information is either correct or not correct. There is no such thing as warmth, fuzziness or loss of detail. An enormous amount of work has been done to ensure that digital transmission is perfect. Not good, not good enough, but absolutely, god’s eye view, perfect. First there’s s error detection and correction. If a packet is uncorrectable, it’s re-sent. Buffering is used to make sure there is no loss due to re-sends. If this didn’t work, you would never be able to download an app. It has to be perfect.

WiFi is not as reliable as wired. With an overworked router, you can get failures. This is pretty obvious when it happens, and not at all like a loss of quality.

My reason for laughing is only because it seems that people deny that ethernet is always to prefer where and when it is possible. I saw so many "installations" where for pure convenience or saving a few Euro cables, which easily could be hidden, are given up for wifi. Not for sound quality, but for stability. An interrupt in the middle of a Gilmour solo would drive me crazy 😉 Even for those I've know quite well.

I would deny the always part. I had frequent interruptions with the “free” router provided by the internet company. My daughter-in-law required a reliable service for remote working, and bought an Eero mesh router. I haven’t had a glitch in three years.

What matters is not wired vs. wireless. I care about stability and bandwidth. For audio application, bandwidth is not much of concern nowadays - we are in era of watching 4K video streaming services. Stability can be affected by many factors - ISP, router, switch, DNS server, and proximity to wifi access point (thus affecting S/N ratio) and it can be measured in multiple metrics such as jitter and ping delay. Well performing wifi is as good as well performing wired network. Performance is also a function of application - if this is for network-based multiplayer game, I need to use different criteria than audio streaming.

I use wireless connection because WiiM Pro Plus is about 6 ft away from a wifi access point and I do not want to share power/ground with the access point.

Back