Dropouts on coaxial output with ARC input

Lenny

So I have a pretty complicated setup. I use the coaxial output to connect "directly" to my genelc's AES/EBU input. Previously I used a simple coaxial to AES/EBU cable. But now I got (in addition to the WiiM Ultra) an coaxial to BNC adapter, a short BNC cable, Neutrik NADITBNC-M and a normal AES/EBU Cable to connect to the genelec's. That should be cleaner in theory since I convert the coaxial 75 Ohm signal to the correct AES/EBU 110 Ohm signal.

The problem is that I get some sorts of dropouts every few minutes. It sounds like shortly the left speaker volume goes to zero and then up to normal again (below one second) and directly after that the right speaker does it too and that happens every maybe 2-5 minutes.

It doesn't matter if I use my single converter cable or my complicated multiple cables and adapters solution. The "Optical/HDMI Audio De-noising" option also seems to make no difference with both connections.

I have a good message in that I kinda found a solution. So I have FiiO K3 that I normally use as my headphone DAC/AMP but it also has coaxial and optical output. So I tried connection that to the WiiM's USB out and then using the coaxial output of the FiiO. There with both the simple cable and the complicated setup I don't seem to have these problems.

So now my question what is the FiiO doing what the WiiM isn't and can the WiiM be updated to do it too? I am not so sure how I like my solution here.

If this doesn't get fixed I'm not sure if I want to stay with my (I feel hacky) solution or would switch back to my old setup (BlueSound Node), which would be a total shame because alone setting up the WiiM and using the app and having the remote make the WiiM super nice and I totally love it till now except for that sadly not so small problem.

Back