Extensive review regarding comparisons between the Ultra and PRO - used as digital transports to external dac, results on page 3

I tried a grounded GAN USB-C charger on WiiM Pro Plus. It is 60W Dell laptop charger - rated 3A at 5V. I don't know if this improves sound quality. Two reasons I tried this; a) GAN charger operates at higher frequency than conventional SMPS, further pushing out overlap frequencies between digital processing and power supply b) it is grounded unlike Apple iPad charger. I use an external DAC via Toslink.
Use the powersupply that sounds the best, and are most convenient, and safe. Interesting technique with GAN .

1. Coax
There is a chance though that my Rega dac sounds inferior using toslink but it might be different with other dacs.

2. Maybe pointless, probably. However, the coax output is an analog rca output carrying digital signals in analog shape. The powersupply:s capacitors might settle after 6-7 hours and that powersupply with regulators is powering the coax output chip.
I would say maybe a short warm up to stabilize clock temperature on both WiiM and external DAC?

If you want to buy a streamer and deciding on buying the pro plus with a better external powersupply you might end up with the same price , but the ultra gonna sound a little better anyway through spdif out than the pro+.

So - just buy the Ultra. The player has hdmi, sounds faboulus as it is, and the box is of very high quality.

I tried a grounded GAN USB-C charger on WiiM Pro Plus. It is 60W Dell laptop charger - rated 3A at 5V. I don't know if this improves sound quality. Two reasons I tried this; a) GAN charger operates at higher frequency than conventional SMPS, further pushing out overlap frequencies between digital processing and power supply b) it is grounded unlike Apple iPad charger. I use an external DAC via Toslink.
Does it have a grounded negative DC output connector?

If you want to buy a streamer and deciding on buying the pro plus with a better external powersupply you might end up with the same price , but the ultra gonna sound a little better anyway through spdif out than the pro+.

So - just buy the Ultra. The player has hdmi, sounds faboulus as it is, and the box is of very high quality.
I need both AirPlay and Chromecast to meet my family need. So, WiiM Pro or Pro+ is my choice for now.

Does it have a grounded negative DC output connector?
I cannot verify because I don't have a multimeter. One evidence that I have is; I have both Dell and Apple Macbook Air. Their power rating are both 60W. If I use a genuine Apple USB-C charger, I feel a tingling on the laptop surface. If I use a Dell USB-C charger, I don't feel that tingling sense. I attribute that difference to the grounding.

Agreed, LPS does not always sound better, more importantly all LPS are not made equal.

In my experience LPSU also has a sound signature.... based on measurable parameters like PSRR, Output impedance, capacitance reserve. I have also noticed lower ESR vs higher ESR capacitors make a difference as well.
PSUs have no sound signature. They do not process the sound.

I have about 10 apple chargers because I frequently upgrade my phone (usually yearly) is it worth trying my apple charger over the WiiM?
When I'm using apple charger with an old iPhone 6s and electric guitar interface, I got no noises at all. If I use a Huawei or a Samsung charger I have a little hum when no touching strings and spectrometer shows some hi freq unwanted harmonics. If you have a spare apple charger, definitely i think it worth use it.

So they buy pro or pro plus then want to improve performance by using better wall wart or lps. In my opinion, I have used wide range of power supply including lps did not made sound improvement. I just wonder why these users claim made an improvement. Mine just plug straight to power strip with usb. None really matter unless there’s a measurement before and after upgrade.

1. Coax
There is a chance though that my Rega dac sounds inferior using toslink but it might be different with other dacs.

2. Maybe pointless, probably. However, the coax output is an analog rca output carrying digital signals in analog shape. The powersupply:s capacitors might settle after 6-7 hours and that powersupply with regulators is powering the coax output chip.
That is interesting. Coax is analog rca carrying digital signals in rca shape? I will need to get chatgpt to explain. So it's not true digital? Why is toslink not better than coax then? Thx

Edit: maybe I misunderstood. You mean coax cable is analogue shaped but signal is digital?

Coax cable for SPDIF commonly uses RCA connector. Cable itself has impedance at 75Ohm. It is different from analogue RCA cable. I know some people misuse analogue RCA cables instead of true Coax cable for SPDIF.

Coax cable for SPDIF commonly uses RCA connector. Cable itself has impedance at 75Ohm. It is different from analogue RCA cable. I know some people misuse analogue RCA cables instead of true Coax cable for SPDIF.
Will that impact the sound if you’re using regular rca than coax 75 ohm?

if there are now some certified rca connectors (like canare), historically it was not a connector suitable for hf but therefore for coaxial (spdif is h-f) but modestly b-f... the bnc is the perfectly adapted format..since the years... 40s ;-)

Will that impact the sound if you’re using regular rca than coax 75 ohm?
Yes depending on cable length and the quality of the external DAC. Most people find no difference because their external DACs are not very good.

Since this a pro and ultra comparison, both are connected on same dac and speakers. When I run rc, the ultra cut too much as oppose on pro. The result pro sound better with engaging sound. The ultra became sound bright and weak bass. Both rc sets the same parameter. Does anyone getting the same?

That is interesting. Coax is analog rca carrying digital signals in rca shape? I will need to get chatgpt to explain. So it's not true digital? Why is toslink not better than coax then? Thx

Edit: maybe I misunderstood. You mean coax cable is analogue shaped but signal is digital?
Spdif signal is analog HF.

Back