Firmware 5.2.625555. Any update notes?

@Longfellow78 is asking (and hoping) for exactly this: A way to browse the contents of the USB drive from the touchscreen.

I find it difficult to think about a usable GUI for that without massive changes to the way things are working now. In particular, a search function makes no sense on that tiny display. However, it might be doable at one point in time.

And I agree that if such a feature was coming one day it should rather be implemented supporting all media servers in Home Music Share. WiiM decided to not support local file navigation but use a media server even for contents on the local storage device. It might not be intuitive for people not used to it but it's a much more powerful and convenient approach in general and I don't see WiiM giving it up.

Since there is no official announcement yet it is very likely a beta firmware to address one or more of the issues you (and potentially others) have been reporting to WiiM by sending feedback.

It's pretty common for WiiM to roll out new firmware releases to those with specific issues first and than either release it to the public or contain the fixes in the next regular updates. And yes, firmware updates are done in waves.
Huh. Wow sending firmware to individual people. That's crazy. I can try and see if my toslink is working now I guess. Altho I already switched to coax.

@Longfellow78 is asking (and hoping) for exactly this: A way to browse the contents of the USB drive from the touchscreen.

I find it difficult to think about a usable GUI for that without massive changes to the way things are working now. In particular, a search function makes no sense on that tiny display. However, it might be doable at one point in time.

And I agree that if such a feature was coming one day it should rather be implemented supporting all media servers in Home Music Share. WiiM decided to not support local file navigation but use a media server even for contents on the local storage device. It might not be intuitive for people not used to it but it's a much more powerful and convenient approach in general and I don't see WiiM giving it up.
I don't get why people think this is so difficult to navigate from the touchscreen. All it needs to do is default to folder view in whatever root directory you choose. 99% of people will have one album per folder. You could scroll up and down like you have to do now on the phone screen anwway, possibly with a floating alphabet to shortcut to a particular letter (which it doesn't even have on the phone screen). I think the file navigator in the home media share isn't very good anyway so always just scroll through at folder level. I've got about 300 albums and it's OK as they are alphabetical. Maybe not the best experience but better than nothing. Anyway they will do what they will do.

You could scroll up and down like you have to do now on the phone screen anwway, ...
Vastly different screen size, different angle operating the devices, different fingers to be used ... it's not technically impossible, it's just a lot less convenient for most people.

... possibly with a floating alphabet to shortcut to a particular letter (which it doesn't even have on the phone screen).
Exactly, that feature doesn't even exist in WiiM's software, yet. It would have to be developed, first. It's not even possible with a "true" folder view, relying on folder names. It would still be based on tags.

I think the file navigator in the home media share isn't very good anyway so always just scroll through at folder level. I've got about 300 albums and it's OK as they are alphabetical. Maybe not the best experience but better than nothing.
And because of that the experience would be even worse on the small touchscreen where you cannot even have a sensible way of searching.

I don't say you are wrong in wanting that feature. If you want it, you want it, that's fine. It's just that there has been very little demand for it until now and there is a certain risk of you not being satisfied with the result.

I don't get why people think this is so difficult to navigate from the touchscreen. All it needs to do is default to folder view in whatever root directory you choose. 99% of people will have one album per folder. You could scroll up and down like you have to do now on the phone screen anwway, possibly with a floating alphabet to shortcut to a particular letter (which it doesn't even have on the phone screen). I think the file navigator in the home media share isn't very good anyway so always just scroll through at folder level. I've got about 300 albums and it's OK as they are alphabetical. Maybe not the best experience but better than nothing. Anyway they will do what they will do.
what could be done is like the stream presets wich are available by the touchscreen of the Ultra. I mean 12 or more preset wich are set up on the phone and available by the touch screen.

I don't want use my phone as source or as remote.

Ha
Hi, let's stay on topic and be civil here.
Have there been any off-topic or unfriendly posts in this thread?

All I can see right now is respectful discussion on what that special firmware might contain and what not.

Back