Fixed Volume Output - Resets to 100%

Mrihar

I noticed that shutting off fixed volume output starts the ‘unfixed’ volume level a 100%. Thankfully I shut my source off before noticing this otherwise my 400w rms per channel amp would have blown my ear drums straight through the back of my skull…..and most likely damaged my speakers. Wouldn’t it make sense to start the ‘unfixed’ volume level at 0 for safety reasons.

On that note. What happens when you switch inputs from something that needs fixed volume (such as an AVR or device with its own volume control) to an input such as WiFi that depends wholly on the Ultra volume control? Will the volume remain fixed at 100% (very very very bad)? I wasn’t willing to test this for obvious reasons. The lack of clarity deterred me from switching inputs with ‘fixed volume output’ engaged. I don’t see a way to set ‘fixed volume’ per input which may be part of the solution.

In your case, why use fixed output volume at all?

You can specify a volume for every input if you do not use the fixed setting., e.g. you could set the input for your AVR to 100% (which is essentially the same as fixed output volume since it is bit-perfect). Then the other inputs should have their own volume levels.

Still, this is something to be addressed, my worst fear as well.. A safety mechanism of some sorts could be implemented indeed to always reset the variable volume to 0% or a specific value like 20%.

Still, this is something to be addressed, my worst fear as well.. A safety mechanism of some sorts could be implemented indeed to always reset the variable volume to 0% or a specific value like 20%.
But you switch from 100% fixed volume to 100% variable, why should this be a problem?

If you switch from a lower fixed volume to variable you could enable the same level as maximum volume level for the output.

But you switch from 100% fixed volume to 100% variable, why should this be a problem?

If you switch from a lower fixed volume to variable you could enable the same level as maximum volume level for the output.
I get your point, although a setting for this wouldn't hurt. Especially in situations like OP where he's using the volume control of a particular source device.

In your case, why use fixed output volume at all?

You can specify a volume for every input if you do not use the fixed setting., e.g. you could set the input for your AVR to 100% (which is essentially the same as fixed output volume since it is bit-perfect). Then the other inputs should have their own volume levels.
Yes, I recognized this solution shortly after I posted. Still, it would be nice to have this setting on a per input basis. That being said. There is another related problem that I unfortunately experienced this morning.

My setup
Denon x4200 AVR is the source. Center and Surround channels are sent directly from the AVR to the respective speakers. The AVR Front Left and Right line output going to the Ultra line input. The Ultra is set to 'Fixed Volume' for purpose of controlling this channel through the AVR along with the other 3 surround speakers.

Problem
I noticed some minor sync issues between the 5 speakers and noticed a Sync setting in the WIIM app. I selected the Auto Sync and BOOOOM!!! I was was nearly deafened by the tone that came out of the Front Left & Right speakers. It was so loud I was certain my speakers were pooched as they are rated for 145W and the amp driving them is 400W RMS per channel. After the 'stars' cleared I found everything, at least from what I could tell, to be undamaged. Regardless, WIIM needs to place some attention on safety in regard to this setting. If I had a baby, or even an adult sitting within 1 -2 feet of either of those speakers they would have had permanent hearing damage. If a simple WIIM code revision could save some unfortunate soul from a life of deafness I think its fair place to exert some effort.

Last edited:
Yes, such things should be avoided. But in my opinion using fixed volume out at 100% is a very big risk if you connect the Ultra directly to a Poweramp with 400W.

Someone in your Wifi just has to connect to the Ultra using Spotify Connect and "Boom" your speakers or your ears might be dead.

Problem
I noticed some minor sync issues between the 5 speakers and noticed a Sync setting in the WIIM app.

Connecting the WiiM to the front pre-outs causes a delay in the front speakers by the WiiM. This may be difficult to solve with WiiM auto-sync. In my case, I solved this problem by adjusting the distance of the front speakers. Specifically, in the AVR speaker settings, set the distance of the front speakers farther than the other speakers.

For example, if the surround speakers are set to 2 m, set the front speakers to 10 m. I played a delay test video on Youtube and fine-tuned it by ear.

Back