Fun with Visualizations

cc_rider

Major Contributor
VU meters have long been of interest to HiFi enthusiasts. Unfortunately, the WiiMs don’t allow the analog output to be active with one of the digital outputs, so it’s difficult to use a VU meter if you want digital out of the WiiM.

Have been messing around with a VU/spectrum meter I picked up on eBay a while back, and an old Arylic A31 module. Synch’d with my WiiM Pro in the WiiM app, the Arylic provides the analog output in perfect sync with the Pro’s coax output. Down side is that the synch’d stream is converted to 48K.

IMG_2024-05-17-211849.jpg

VU meters have long been of interest to HiFi enthusiasts. Unfortunately, the WiiMs don’t allow the analog output to be active with one of the digital outputs, so it’s difficult to use a VU meter if you want digital out of the WiiM.

Have been messing around with a VU/spectrum meter I picked up on eBay a while back, and an old Arylic A31 module. Synch’d with my WiiM Pro in the WiiM app, the Arylic provides the analog output in perfect sync with the Pro’s coax output. Down side is that the synch’d stream is converted to 48K.

View attachment 7181
Do you have a link to that vu meter. I have a DAC connected to WiiM Pro Plus and has both XLR and RCA outputs. So, I can connect unbalanced output to a vu meter.

Do you have a link to that vu meter. I have a DAC connected to WiiM Pro Plus and has both XLR and RCA outputs. So, I can connect unbalanced output to a vu meter.

Problem with doing it that way is the VU levels will be dependent on your volume control - it needs a fixed line level output as its source, so you only need to calibrate it once.

Last edited:
I’m surprised the number of people obsess on vu meter.

It’s not particularly my cup of tea, but I can see the attraction.

It gives a high end retro vibe, high is nice, and it introduces a visual stimulus, which again, can be useful.

I’d like to see the best VU display possible on the Ultra, purely because some people like them.

When mine arrives, I’ll be giving it a go, though I don’t expect it to grab me.

But who knows.

Anyone who has an RME DAC knows how cool that dancing green display is while listening to music. The optical splitter / USB converter combo make it simple enough to feed WiiM's output to cava, which allows us to monitor the WiiM's output in a spectrum display. A static screenshot doesn't do it justice, of course. Both the VU meter and cava can share the same default ALSA input.

Screenshot 2024-07-19 8.04.54 PM.png

Last edited:
Stumbled upon this rather nice VU meter app, installed it on my Chromebox in a Linux VM. With a cheap optical splitter and this Cubilux toslink to USB converter, I'm able to monitor the WiiM Pro's optical output while listening via my DAC's optical input. Works nicely, will attempt to run this VU meter on a RasPi at some point.

View attachment 9229
I am looking at https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyMeter.doc/wiki since it is compatible with Raspberry Pi. If one can figure out to combine WiiM HDMI and PeppyMeter together as a single Python script, that will be fantastic!

I am looking at https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyMeter.doc/wiki since it is compatible with Raspberry Pi. If one can figure out to combine WiiM HDMI and PeppyMeter together as a single Python script, that will be fantastic!
Last I looked at Peppy, it required Python 2.7, which is WAY out of date, wouldn't run on 3.x. A non-starter for me. It's also a PITA to get running with ALSA.

It does run on a Pi, though, and would merely require the optical to USB converter and an optical splitter to get it working with the WiiM - plus a USB-C or -A to microUSB adapter.

Looks like PeppyMeter now runs under Python 3. However, their choice to use named pipes for input complicates things dramatically vs a simple ALSA capture. I’ve installed peppyalsa, set up the named pipe, use arecord to feed the pipe, but it just pegs the needle, input or not. What a PITA.

It does have pretty meters though. lol.

IMG_2528.jpeg

Stumbled upon this Python project on GitHub, which uses good old PyAudio to capture the audio directly from ALSA - no named pipes! Looks very promising. Tomorrow...

302049508-37d28da0-36f0-4493-b610-f2a7ea1cdbe7.png

Back