Fun with Visualizations

It looks so fantastic. It looks similar to vintage HAM radio look - I had one back in 80's.
I had a fairly large collection of vintage HiFi equipment, sold most of it. Looks fantastic, but takes up space and tends to require more maintenance than I'm willing to do anymore. Replicating at least the look, without the hassle, is my goal - modern UIs on iPhones aren't much fun, but modern digital audio performs much better than the vintage stuff ever did.

Last edited:
Getting my iPhone to get the proper white balance is a PITA, it always captures shots of this with a blue haze. Anyway, here's what it really looks like, using scrot on the Pi to capture the screen.

jcash.png

I've pushed this to Github: https://github.com/retired-guy/WiiM-VU

It needs a few things installed, including SDL2, pygame, PyAudio, numpy, xmltodict and upnpclient. The latter doesn't appear to be available under the latest version of RPiOS, so you can just copy the files from it into a upnpclient subdirectory under WiiM-VU/ PLEASE don't try this if you're not experienced with Raspberry Pi's and Python. Edit the config.ini with your WiiM's IP address.

Hardware-wise, you'll need a Pi (I'm using a 3A+, which is more than powerful enough), a Toslink-to-USB adapter (to capture the audio from your WiiM), a 400X1280 HDMI display, and a Toslink Splitter cable. I've specified these earlier in the thread.

IMG_2813.jpg

Last edited:
I still have a beautiful Akai 10” R2R deck. Love the glow on these.

IMG_2873.jpeg

OK... time to time it out for myself too.
Maybe with a dash of Amber Nectar while I'm at it.
Once I've got the hang of those menus...

Back