Fun with Visualizations

Couldn’t get the Quadra to rotate properly to this wide screen, so moved everything over to a Pi 3A, which just happens to have a JustBoom Digi hat with Toslink in. Looking pretty. Now the hard part of getting metadata from the WiiM and integrating it into someone else’s code. Ugh.

IMG_2533.jpeg
IMG_2534.jpeg

Couldn’t get the Quadra to rotate properly to this wide screen, so moved everything over to a Pi 3A, which just happens to have a JustBoom Digi hat with Toslink in. Looking pretty. Now the hard part of getting metadata from the WiiM and integrating it into someone else’s code. Ugh.

View attachment 9535
View attachment 9534
Does JustBoom Digi hat can receive Toslink input? When I checked out the product description, it sounds like it outputs only.

View attachment 9535
View attachment 9534
Is this screen the one now showing in the "listening now" thread? It seems to be looking like a beautiful match with the RME width/color/height.

Is this screen the one now showing in the "listening now" thread? It seems to be looking like a beautiful match with the RME width/color/height.
Yes, I got sidetracked, put the Peppy integration on the back burner, in favor of adapting my own code to this screen. Working well, and is a near-perfect match for the RME, down to the black painted metal bezel.

P1000091.jpg

Hi cc_rider,

are you planning to share your code for this on github as you have done with your other Wiim display projects ?

Thanks

I dunno, the meters are really small on this screen, not feeling up to attempting to resize them right now, mabe when I'm bored. At least they work without named pipes.

Last edited:
Source code for a WiiM spectrum analyzer based on this GitHub repository. I have it running on an old Pi 3A+, where it consumes 100% of one of the four CPUs, so a heatsink is recommended. When nothing is playing, consumption drops to very little, and the date and time are displayed. It's specifically meant for the 400X1280 HDMI display mentioned earlier in this thread.

In the startup script, WiiM.sh (sorry, this board capitalized the W and M, which aren't actually capitalized), be sure to change the wiim_ip to that of your WiiM device to be monitored. The startup script works fine when used with a systemd startup file. You will, of course, need to pipe the WiiM's optical out into the Pi's USB using the optical splitter and Toslink-to-USB converter mentioned above.

Trust me, it looks much better in person than I was able to capture with my phone. Plenty of das blinkenlights! Accuracy? Meh... But it looks cool, lol.

Last edited:
@cc_rider

I am sure I have asked you this before but if so I have mislaid any reply.

On your NP display are you hooking in to the WiiM's API? If so can you point me at some documentation - I can find some info about the http API but nothing that relates to NP.

I am particularly interested to know whether you have managed to get NP info when playing Amazon Music through a WiiM.

@d6jg I always use the UPnP interface. It’s self documented, just point a browser to port 49152/description.xml on your WiiM. A good interactive UPnP tool allows you to easily test any of the methods.

See my repositories for usage examples.

@d6jg I always use the UPnP interface. It’s self documented, just point a browser to port 49152/description.xml on your WiiM. A good interactive UPnP tool allows you to easily test any of the methods.

See my repositories for usage examples.
Many thanks
FYI I'm looking into connecting a WiiM optical out to one of these - https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-ur23-spdif-optical-to-usb-converter/ - and then into a Raspberry Pi with a view to pushing the audio into LMS (wavin or similar) and using a variant of your scripts to grab the cover art and metadata for display inside LMS. I'm only really interested in Amazon Music as it is not supported within LMS. I don't think control will ever be possible but .....

Many thanks
FYI I'm looking into connecting a WiiM optical out to one of these - https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-ur23-spdif-optical-to-usb-converter/ - and then into a Raspberry Pi with a view to pushing the audio into LMS (wavin or similar) and using a variant of your scripts to grab the cover art and metadata for display inside LMS. I'm only really interested in Amazon Music as it is not supported within LMS. I don't think control will ever be possible but .....
Might also consider this one, which supports 192/24.

Back